Court notice to Facebook on Marxist party’s pleaMay 17th, 2012 - 8:16 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, May 17 (IANS) A court in Odisha Thursday issued a notice to Facebook India for allegedly publishing on its social networking site some objectionable content related to a political party, a lawyer said.
Civil Judge (Senior Division) Ratikanta Mohapatra issued the notice on the basis of a suit filed by the state unit of the Communist party of India-Marxist, the petitioner’s lawyer Bibhu Prasand Tripathy told IANS.
According to him, a Facebook account holder posted some demeaning statements on the affairs of the party in the state.
Dusmanta Kumar Das, state secretariat member of the CPI-Marxist, recently moved the court seeking injunction against the site publisher as well as the account holder from publishing such statements.
He sought direction from the court to the site to delete the existing content, Tripathy said.
The court issued notices to Facebook India based in Hyderabad and the alleged account holder Bhabani Sankar Nayak to reply by July 4 why the injunction as prayed for should not be allowed, he added.
- Facebook, Google move court against summons (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Facebook in row over moderation process - Mar 03, 2012
- Orissa court questions officials on Andhra project - Oct 14, 2009
- Filter content or face blackout, court warns Facebook, Google (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Objectionable content case: Hearing put off till May 23 - Mar 13, 2012
- Singhvi blames organised gang as CD goes viral on internet (Second Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Hundreds court arrest to protest Posco - Jun 06, 2011
- Facebook, Google move court; Delhi Police issued notice - Jan 11, 2012
- Court issues notice over taxing internet-based firms (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Court serves notice to Orissa government on pulses scam - Feb 11, 2011
- Pak telecom authority bans Blackberry services - May 22, 2010
- CD row: Singhvi quits party, parliamentary posts (Roundup) - Apr 23, 2012
- New York Hindu temple head gets protection order - Jun 09, 2012
- Google has right to remove content, court told - Feb 02, 2012
- Foul content on websites hurts religious Indians, court told - Feb 14, 2012
Tags: civil judge, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, facebook, hyderabad, injunction against, july 4, lawyer, marxist party, objectionable content, odisha, petitioner, plea, sankar, secretariat, social networking site, state secretariat, tripathy