‘Coronation Street’ is world’s longest-running soapSeptember 25th, 2010 - 2:22 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sep 25 (ANI): Brit prime-time soap opera ‘Coronation Street’ has been recognised as the world’s longest-running soap.
It was first broadcast on 9 December 1960 and prepares to mark its 50th birthday soon.
In another landmark, William Roache, who has played Ken Barlow since the first episode, is now the world’s longest-serving soap actor.
The popular drama has headed into the record books following the cancellation of US series As The World Turns, which previously led the field.
Roache collected an award for the accolade at a special street party on the cobbles at Granada TV’s studios, where guests and cast members were celebrating the show’s half-century.
“An award like this is something that creeps up behind you while you are getting on with the job - that job is Coronation Street. I’m lucky to be in it,” the Telegraph quoted the 78-year-old actor as saying.
Roache, who was given a standing ovation, added: “I will hold this on behalf of Team Coronation Street.”
The show actually celebrates its birthday on December 9, but programme bosses were preparing for the anniversary and it would be marked on screen.
The street is to be rocked by death and disaster with a tram accident.
And producer Phil Collinson said a special live episode could include computer-generated images, which has never been attempted before.
He added that viewers can expect to see “a tram crash, a death, a wedding, another death, a birth, a murder, a fire and another death” as part of the milestone celebrations.
Executive producer of the show Kieran Roberts said: “These days it’s rare for any drama to run for more than a few years. In fact, back in 1960, Coronation Street was originally commissioned for just 13 episodes.
“Therefore it truly is an extraordinary achievement that, 50 years later, the show which first aired just after The Beatles were formed remains hugely popular in Britain and around the world.
He added: “Everyone connected with Coronation Street is very proud to acknowledge William’s richly-deserved record as the world’s longest-serving soap actor, and we are just as proud of achieving the record for being the longest-running soap opera in the world.” (ANI)
- Geary bags seventh Daytime Emmy - Jun 25, 2012
- 'As The World Turns' Star Helen Wagner, Dead At 91 - May 04, 2010
- Inspired by TV soap, teen kills mother with hammer - Apr 04, 2012
- Eastenders triumphs at British Soap Awards - May 10, 2010
- Kim Kardashian wants to appear in Coronation Street - Jun 13, 2012
- RIP 'Guiding Light': Final episode aired - Sep 19, 2009
- Will.I.Am takes lessons on British slang - Apr 06, 2012
- Coronation Street 10 times more dangerous than average Manchester street - Nov 29, 2010
- Kourtney Kardashian makes her acting debut - Mar 30, 2011
- The Simpsons to celebrate record-breaking 20yrs on TV - Dec 06, 2009
- Kardashian wants to be part of British soaps - Jun 13, 2012
- Roselyn Sanchez gives birth to daughter - Jan 06, 2012
- 'The Simpsons' aired their 500th Episode - Feb 20, 2012
- Catherine Zeta Jones appointed a CBE in Queen's Birthday Honours List - Jun 12, 2010
- Margarita Rosa de Francisco returns to TV - Sep 28, 2011
Tags: 50th birthday, accolade, beatles, cancellation, cast members, cobbles, computer generated images, coronation street, executive producer, granada tv, ken barlow, kieran, milestone celebrations, phil collinson, prime time, record books, soap actor, soap opera, standing ovation, william roache