Coppola slams Pacino, De Niro and NicholsonNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:25 am ICT by admin
“I met both Pacino and De Niro when they were really on the come. They were young and insecure. Now Pacino is very rich, maybe because he never spends any money; he just puts it in his mattress. De Niro was deeply inspired by (Coppola’s studio American) Zoetrope and created an empire and is wealthy and powerful,” the New York Daily News quoted Coppola as telling GQ magazine.
“Nicholson was - when I met him and worked with him - he was always kind of a joker. He’s got a little bit of a mean streak. He’s intelligent, always wired in with the big guys and the big bosses of the studios,” he added.
The director also said that Pacino used to be very keen on doing theatre, but he of late did not seem to be having the same interest.
“I don’t know what any of them want anymore. I don’t know that they want the same things. Pacino always wanted to do theatre … (He) will say, ‘Oh, I was raised next to a furnace in New York, and I’m never going to go to L.A.,’ but they all live off the fat of the land,” Coppola said.
He has also revealed that he is coming out with an art film, ‘Youth Without Youth’, for the first time in 10 years.
Coppola has spent last decade mostly by producing daughter Sofia ’s pictures. He also made De Niro’s ‘The Good Shepherd’ last year.
“I think if there was a role that De Niro was hungry for, he would come after it. I don’t think Jack would. Jack has money and influence and girls, and I think he’s a little bit like (Marlon) Brando, except Brando went through some tough times. I guess they don’t want to do it anymore,” he said.
“You know, even in those days, after ‘The Godfather,’ I didn’t feel that those actors were ready to say, ‘Let’s do something else really ambitious.’ A guy like (38-year-old “Before Night Falls” star) Javier Bardem is excited to do something good: ‘Let me do this’ or ‘I’ll put stuff in my mouth, change my appearance.’ I don’t feel that kind of passion to do a role and be great coming from those guys, because if it was there, they would do it,” he added.
None of the actors was available for comment. (ANI)
- Al Pacino says he was almost fired from 'The Godfather' - Dec 08, 2010
- Al Pacino can't do what Indian actors do: Anupam Kher - Jun 27, 2011
- Al Pacino: 'Playing Dr Kevorkian was a role to kill for' - Apr 19, 2010
- Bollywood now more professional, but impersonal: Anupam Kher (Interview) - Apr 11, 2012
- GOD FATHER TRIOLOGY - Aug 26, 2010
- When De Niro disguised himself as homeless man - Mar 03, 2012
- De Niro to team up with Scorsese again - Mar 08, 2011
- Francis Ford Coppola Gets An Honorary Oscar - Nov 15, 2010
- President Obama's birth certificate continues to be a controversy - Apr 27, 2011
- De Niro tops on screen death list - Dec 29, 2010
- Pacino doesn't think he's a legend - Jul 09, 2010
- Robert de Niro barred from hotel! - Mar 15, 2012
- Robert De Niro receives Honorary Doctorate Degree from Bates College - May 29, 2012
- Scorsese seeks Pacino, De Niro for Sintara movie - May 26, 2010
- Trump and De Niro's free-for-all over Obama birth issue criticism - Apr 26, 2011
Tags: actors, american zoetrope, art film, big bosses, big guys, coppola, do it anymore, godfather ii, good shepherd, gq magazine, guess, i don t know, little bit, marlon brando, mean streak, money, new york daily news, pacino de niro, york daily news