Connery’s portrait with skimpy trunks goes on displayNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:50 am ICT by admin
The Edinburgh College of Art has included the work in its centenary exhibition, Ten Decades, at the City Art Centre in Edinburgh, which runs from Oct 27 to Jan 19, 2008.
At that time, Connery was in the peak physical condition that won him third place in the Mr Universe competition.
He also used to pose as a life model at that time.
The oil-on-canvas painting shows a side-on view of a muscular Connery dressed in bodybuilding trunks.
The portrait was painted before, the now 77 year old, auditioned for a stage production of South Pacific, a role that led to stage, TV and film work and the role as James Bond that propelled him to stardom.
The painting has been in the collection of the School Of Drawing And Painting at the college for more than 50 years, but has rarely gone on display until now. (ANI)
- Sir Sean Connery's nude painting found among late artist's works - Nov 05, 2010
- Sobha Singh's painting goes for auction at Sotheby's (With images) - Feb 25, 2011
- Gurgaon Art Festival brings together 50 artists, 200 works - Sep 11, 2012
- Once criticised, painter Tagore now aesthetic icon (With Images) - May 03, 2011
- India-Bangladesh art summit begins in Mumbai - Aug 01, 2011
- F.N. Souza's London years by Ida Kar in Delhi - Oct 05, 2011
- MJ's Michelangelo like painting revealed - Dec 07, 2009
- Polish artist's Indian works on display - Nov 02, 2011
- Iconic Raphael self portrait under scrutiny after identical painting surfaces - Jan 28, 2011
- Eight Bangladeshi artists interpret Tagore on canvas - May 16, 2011
- Tagore paintings 'a huge draw' in South Korea - Sep 23, 2011
- 12-year-old exhibits aboriginal art-inspired paintings (With images) - Apr 04, 2010
- India's Mughal era artistic legacy on display in US - Jul 26, 2012
- Andy Warhol's self-portrait to fetch $40m at NY auction - Apr 22, 2011
- Guru Govind Singh's canvas on sale at Sotheby's auction - Sep 10, 2009
Tags: canvas painting, centenary exhibition, city art centre, edinburgh college of art, fairweather, film work, jan 19, jazz musician, life model, mr universe, oil on canvas, physical condition, school of drawing, stage production, stage tv, stardom, trunks, universe competition