Comparing me to Rahman not fair: Sohail SenAugust 25th, 2009 - 9:15 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 25 (IANS) After teaming up with music maestro A.R. Rahman in hits like “Lagaan” and “Jodhaa Akbar”, director Ashutosh Gowariker has roped in budding composer Sohail Sen for “What’s Your Raashee?” and the young musician says drawing comparisons between him and the Oscar-winning genius wouldn’t be fair.
“I never had in mind that I will be compared to Rahman. That shouldn’t happen at all. He has been in the industry for so long and I’m just a beginner; so any comparison with him would not be fair,” Sen, who has composed 13 tracks for “What’s Your Raashee?”, told IANS over phone from Mumbai.
“I’m a great fan of Rahman. I have been listening to his music over the years and he is just like an idol for me. He is an encyclopaedia of music,” Sen added.
The 25-year-old has got music in legacy from his father Sameer Sen, a well-known name in the field of music in Hindi films, but says creating songs for the Priyanka Chopra, Hurman Baweja-starrer was not a cakewalk.
“Creating 13 different songs, each for one particular zodiac sign, was a difficult task. We had to maintain distinctiveness. Initially I was nervous. But when Ashutosh-ji and Javed (Akhtar)-saab briefed me and we started working on them, it became better.
“But we did our homework too before starting on the work. We worked on the album for more than one and a half years,” said Sen, who had earlier composed music for the 2008 movie “Sirf”.
Asked which was the most difficult number to create, he said: “‘Chehra jo dekhe hain’ was the most difficult song. We had themes for every song, but in this song we had to collaborate and merge every theme… it was a big task, but we managed,” said Sen, who has also lent his voice to a few songs in the album.
“What’s Your Raashee?” is about a young man who is told to find his dreamgirl within 10 days to save his family from utter ruin. He meets two girls from each sun sign every day so that he will get 12 chances to fall in love, three days to make his final decision and tie the knot on the 10th day.
Priyanka plays 12 different characters, depicting the 12 zodiac signs in the movie set to release Sep 25.
Most films have four-five songs these days — won’t it be a minus point to have 13 songs in the film?
“I don’t think that having 13 songs in one album in a time like today will be a minus point because every song is essential for the film. The songs and the script go hand-in-hand.
“I don’t think the audience will have a problem. As far as I am concerned, it was a plus point for me since I got a chance to showcase my talent and create music in so many different genres in one album itself,” said Sen.
So do you consider this a landmark film for yourself?
“Absolutely. It was a dream to work with a filmmaker like Ashutosh Gowariker,” Sen said.
- Sohail Sen's music impresses in 'What's Your Raashee?' (IANS Music Review) - Aug 24, 2009
- 'Khelein Hum...' music composed in Goa hotel room - Nov 07, 2010
- Gowariker picks new composer over Rahman for '...Rashee?' - Jun 17, 2009
- Gowariker's new film took inspiration from Bengali music - Oct 30, 2010
- 12 Different 'Hair Bounce' Created For Priyanka In Raashee - Sep 23, 2009
- Rakeysh Mehra teams up with Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy for '...Milkha' - Feb 07, 2012
- In a man's world, Shivi Kashyap aims to stand tall - Sep 22, 2011
- East-West blend is future of music industry: Sohail Sen - Aug 10, 2012
- Patriotism takes centrestage in 'Khelein Hum Jee Jaan Sey' album (IANS Music Review) - Oct 30, 2010
- Gowariker's sister sings for Priyanka in 'What's Your Raashee?' - Jul 28, 2009
- Rahman's 'Sajna' in Michael Bolton' album - May 10, 2011
- In Kashmir, music was not considered good: Singer Saim Bhat (Interview) - Mar 13, 2012
- India losing music genres due to Bollywood: Shubha Mudgal (Interview) - Jan 27, 2012
- Translating my works for orchestra was enriching: A.R. Rahman (Interview) - Jan 20, 2012
- I was shocked I didn't know about Chittagong uprising: Ashutosh Gowariker (Interview) - Nov 28, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,