Colombian singer Joe Arroyo deadJuly 27th, 2011 - 11:11 am ICT by IANS
Bogota, July 27 (IANS/EFE) Joe Arroyo, a Colombian singer and songwriter who created his own signature style of dance music, died Tuesday in a hospital in the Caribbean coastal city of Barranquilla, his family said. He was 56.
The artist “died peacefully”, his wife - Jackelin Ramon - told the press after being with him during his last moments in his room at the La Asuncion clinic where he had been receiving care since June 27.
Pneumonia, a cardiac crisis and poor kidney function had led to his hospitalisation, but his health had progressively deteriorated over the past few weeks, medical authorities said.
The health situation of the creator of “joeson” (”Joe sound”) had captured the attention of his fans around the country, among them President Juan Manuel Santos, who had extended his best wishes for quick recovery via Twitter.
“I am lamenting the death of Joe Arroyo, a great loss for music and for Colombia. I send all my solidarity to his family and loved ones,” wrote Santos Tuesday on Twitter after he was informed of the artist’s death.
The man who managed Arroyo’s career for the last 28 years, Luis Ojeda, emphasised the artist’s vast output, including “countless songs” that he collected on more than 150 albums.
“There are, some 300 more songs,” Ojeda said, adding that Arroyo “was a noble guy, a person of great worth, a great singer, a great composer”.
“La rebelion”, “El caminante”, “El ausente” and “Tania” are just some of the many hits that Arroyo had over the course of his career.
- Colombian Salsa great Alvaro Jose Arroyo dies - Jul 27, 2011
- Romeo Santos happy with success of first solo album - Nov 17, 2011
- Peru honours singer Tania Libertad for 50-year career - May 07, 2012
- Salsa singer hurt in accident in Colombia - May 01, 2012
- Mexican singer kidnapped, shot for refusing to sing - Apr 09, 2012
- Mana reach No. 1 on Billboard Latin Songs - Jan 13, 2012
- Pitbull gets award for his influence on music - Apr 02, 2012
- Cuban singer-songwriter dies - Feb 03, 2012
- Poverty led Colombian medallist to wrestling - Aug 11, 2012
- Santos wants to sing with Alejandro Fernandez - Nov 25, 2011
- Venezuelan composer doesn't like vulgarity in music - Nov 24, 2011
- Santos' first solo album tops Billboard Latin chart - Dec 09, 2011
- Ricky Martin performs in Paraguay - Sep 11, 2011
- Natalia collaborating with Franco De Vita, Daddy Yankee - Jul 04, 2012
- Julio Iglesias kicks off concert tour in Chile - Apr 08, 2012
Tags: 28 years, coastal city, colombian singer, countless songs, dance music, efe, el caminante, emphasised, great composer, health situation, hospitalisation, joe arroyo, kidney function, luis ojeda, medical authorities, pneumonia, president juan, rebelion, signature style, twitter