Colombian journalist wounded in grenade attackAugust 6th, 2012 - 11:01 am ICT by IANS
Bogota, Aug 6 (IANS/EFE) A journalist was wounded by attackers who struck at a community radio station in Colombia’s Arauca province, which borders Venezuela.
The Sarare Estereo radio station in Saravena is the same station that employs a female reporter and an environmental engineer who were kidnapped two weeks ago by the National Liberation Army, or ELN, guerrillas, Colombia’s Press Freedom Foundation, or FLIP, said.
Paola Osorio, a journalist and presenter, was wounded when the attackers threw a grenade at the station last Friday around midnight, the FLIP said in a statement. The station was being protected by police at the time.
“The explosive detonated several meters (yards) from the station and wounded the presenter who was leaving the facility at that time,” the non-governmental organization said.
“A female journalist was slightly wounded (and) … the attack was against on-duty police,” Arauca police commander Col. Wilson Bravo told the FLIP.
Sarare Estereo has been the community’s voice in denouncing violent acts by the guerrillas, Emiro Goyeneche, the director of the station, which has been on the air for 17 years, told the FLIP.
Due to the nature of its work, the station receives regular threats against its journalists and facilities, Goyeneche said.
- Colombian Army rescues woman abducted by rebels - Jun 08, 2010
- Colombian troops kill rebel blamed for 84 deaths - Apr 18, 2012
- Colombian rebels say they're holding French reporter - May 02, 2012
- Colombian rebels say they are holding French reporter - May 07, 2012
- Colombian police seize seven tonnes explosives - Apr 07, 2011
- Priest slain in Colombia - May 03, 2012
- Bomb strapped to horse wounds two Colombian soldiers - Jul 12, 2011
- Soccer player slain in Colombia - Jun 12, 2012
- FARC rebels release French reporter - May 31, 2012
- 13 Colombian rebels killed in airstrike - Nov 16, 2010
- Five shot dead in Colombian bar - Jul 02, 2012
- No cease fire during talks with FARC: Colombian president - Sep 08, 2012
- 11 prisoners freed from Argentine police station - Dec 28, 2010
- Journalist slain in Honduras - Dec 07, 2011
- Colombia to deploy 5,000 soldiers to protect pipeline - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: 17 years, arauca, attackers, borders, colombian journalist, community radio station, duty police, eln, environmental engineer, female journalist, female reporter, freedom foundation, grenade attack, guerrillas, last friday, national liberation army, non governmental organization, police commander, press freedom, violent acts