Coldplay’’s ”Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends” named 2008′’s Best-Selling AlbumFebruary 17th, 2009 - 1:02 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 17 (ANI): Rock band Coldplay’’s ”Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends” was the top-selling album of 2008 worldwide, figures have revealed.
According to the IFPI, the body that represents the recording industry worldwide, the British band sold 6.8million copies.
Veteran rockers AC/DC landed the number two spot with their 15th studio album ”Black Ice”, reports the BBC.
The cast of Mamma Mia! The Movie were at number three with their soundtrack album, which was released in July 2008.
Duffy came fourth with her debut album ”Rockferry” and was also the biggest-selling new artist worldwide in 2008.
Metallica’’s Death Magnetic took fifth place.
Leona Lewis and Amy Winehouse were sixth and seventh respectively with Spirit and Back to Black, even though their albums were released one to two years earlier.
The soundtrack to High School Musical 3: Senior Year was the eighth best selling, with Lil Wayne’’s ”Tha Carter III” at nine.
Rihanna’’s ”Good Girl Gone Bad” rounded off the top 10.
Top 10 selling albums of 2008:
1. Coldplay - “Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends”
2. AC/DC - “Black Ice”
3. Various Artists - “Mamma Mia! The Movie Soundtrack Featuring The Songs Of ABBA”
4. Duffy - “Rockferry”
5. Metallica - “Death Magnetic”
6. Leona Lewis - “Spirit ”
7. Amy Winehouse - “Back To Black”
8. Various Artists - “High School Musical 3: Senior Year”
9. Lil Wayne - “Tha Carter III”
10. Rihanna - “Good Girl Gone Bad” (ANI)
- Worldwide music sales dropped by 8percent in 2008 - Apr 23, 2009
- Coldplay, Leona Lewis top iTunes 2008 sales - Dec 03, 2008
- Coldplay release their fifth album - Oct 24, 2011
- Duffy, Alexandra Burke No.1 on UK''s top 10 music sales charts - Dec 30, 2008
- New York band TV on the Radio tops magazine album poll - Dec 11, 2008
- Coldplay, Lil Wayne bag maximum Grammy nominations - Dec 04, 2008
- Lil Wayne sues Quincy Jones' son - Sep 08, 2012
- Lil'' Wayne leads Grammy Awards nominations - Dec 04, 2008
- Taylor Swift's latest album 'Speak Now' all set to breach the 1 million number mark - Oct 29, 2010
- Britneys Womanizer named Sexiest Video of 2008 by Playboy - Feb 13, 2009
- Kanye West wins best rap song, album awards - Feb 13, 2012
- Lil Wayne sued by 'Lollipop' producer - Mar 23, 2011
- Lil Waynes Tha Carter III named Best Album of 2008 - Nov 26, 2008
- Lil Wayne's First Tour Since Prison Stint To Kick Off In March - Jan 25, 2011
- Coldplay back to top UK album chart - Jul 28, 2008
Tags: abba, ac dc, amy winehouse, best selling album, black ice, debut album, duffy, good girl, ifpi, leona lewis, lil wayne, lil wayne tha carter, lil wayne tha carter iii, london feb, mamma mia, movie soundtrack, recording industry, rihanna, senior year, veteran rockers