‘Cocktail’ clicks with youngsters, gets about 90 percent openingJuly 13th, 2012 - 7:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 13 (IANS) Homi Adajania’s “Cocktail”, about mixed-up relationship between three main characters, has appealed to the movie buffs.
The urban romantic drama has got about 90 percent opening on the first day. The numbers are likely to go up during weekend and it will be a profitable venture for actor-producer Saif Ali Khan, distributors say.
Gautam Dutta, COO, PVR, says that the film starring Saif Ali Khan, Deepika Padukone and Diana Penty has opened well and will do better during weekend.
“The film has opened phenomenally well. Friday being a half working, it has done very well with almost 80 percent opening. On Saturday and Sunday it is expected to do houseful.”
“The film has been promoted as a young film, so there are more and more young people coming in, but because it has got a U/A certificate, families are also expected to come on weekends. We are expecting lots of college students on Monday and later in the week,” Dutta told IANS.
Trendsetting fashion statements and chartbusters like “Tum hi ho bandhu” and “Daaru desi” created a great buzz among youngsters before the film’s release.
Delhi-based distributor Joginder Mahajan said, “The film has got almost 90 percent opening in multiplexes. It is appreciated by audience and is expected to get a good response on the weekend.”
Made at a budget of approximately Rs.30 crore, the film has been co-produced by Saif Ali Khan and Dinesh Vijan under Illuminati Films.
The story is centred around Gautam (Saif), an incorrigible flirt, traditional Indian girl Meera (Diana) and Veronica (Deepika), a party animal. Audiences in two-tier cities have also given it a thumbs up.
Confirming this, Indore-based distributor T.N. Kapoor says the response is much better in multiplexes than single screens.
” ‘Cocktail’ has got a good response in Indore. The response in multiplexes in much better than single screens. The target audience of this film is youth. The response is likely to improve over the weekend. It will work well at the box office. The presentation and the content of the film is nice. It wouldn’t be a loss making project for Saif Ali Khan,” he said.
“Since the film is for youth, family audience may just not go and watch it. They would still prefer ‘Bol Bachchan’ and ‘Rowdy Rathore’ that are performing terrifically at the box-office,” Kapoor told IANS.
Jaspal Dhingra of Nanaksar Enterprises in East Punjab says there is a craze among youth about the movie. “The opening has been tremendous. It is targeted to youth. The cast is good, songs are already a hit and the movie has been marketed very well. There is a craze among the youth about the film and they have contributed to its opening.”
“The film is doing good business in north India. Faridabad, Chandigarh, Gurgaon, and Ludhiana have got a great opening. It will do good business next week too because there is no big movie coming up,” Dhingra told IANS.
- Saif still perfect for love stories: Deepika - Jul 10, 2012
- 'Cocktail' has promoted itself: producer - Jul 11, 2012
- Deepika keen on women centric films - Jul 11, 2012
- Saif and I complement each other: Dinesh Vijan - Jul 19, 2012
- Promotion important, it shows our confidence in film: Boman - Jun 21, 2012
- Savour a mix of friendship, fashion, love in 'Cocktail' (IANS Preview) - Jul 10, 2012
- Chaos at 'Cocktail' event - Jul 07, 2012
- Randeep Hooda makes cameo in 'Cocktail' - Jul 05, 2012
- Imran Khan was the first choice for 'Cocktail' - Jul 06, 2012
- Vidya's 'Kahaani' declared a hit - Mar 11, 2012
- Deepika says her Veronica different from Meera - May 23, 2012
- Box office savours sweetness of Anurag Basu's 'Barfi!' - Sep 14, 2012
- Drug overdose common way to die in showbiz: Siddharth (Movie Snippets) - Jul 15, 2012
- Despite protests in Banglore, 'Aarakshan' attracts audience - Aug 12, 2011
- Deepika, Saif team up again for 'Cocktail' - May 17, 2011
Tags: chartbusters, deepika padukone, desi, diana penty, dinesh, fashion statements, homi adajania, illuminati, indian girl, joginder, movie buffs, multiplexes, party animal, profitable venture, pvr, romantic drama, saif ali khan, saturday and sunday, target audience, youngsters