Classical dance training helped me in Bollywood: Esha DeolAugust 15th, 2008 - 1:33 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Aug 15 (IANS) Her training in Indian classical dance helped her in the Bollywood film industry rather than hamper her career, says actor Esha Deol. “It is not a question of maintaining a balance (between classical and Hindi film dances). I think my training in classical dances has actually helped me in all the filmi jhatkas and matkas,” the star of such films as “Dus”, “No Entry”, “Dhoom” and “Kaal” said in the course of a media interaction here Thursday.
Esha is here, along with her mother Hema Malini and sister Ahana Deol, at the invitation of the Indian Business and Professional Council (IBPC), Dubai, for a classical dance recital to mark the India’s independence day Friday.
Talking about her foray into classical dance, Esha, an Odissi artiste, said that it was her mother who got her into the art.
“When I was young, I was always interested in football and stuff like that. But mother always wanted me to learn classical dance,” she said.
But her initial attempts to learn Bharatanatyam, the dance form for which her mother Hema Malini is renowned, nearly put her off from classical dances.
“When I initially tried Bharatanatyam, I found it very tough. The movements… it was just very tough for me. It was later when I saw Odissi performances by Protima Bedi on TV that I thought that it was more like it for me,” Esha said.
Asked whether she felt any pressure when performing along with an acclaimed artiste like her mother, she replied: “Not really. Actually sharing the stage with mother can be very comforting.”
- I'll not quit dancing: Esha Deol - Aug 11, 2012
- I miss classical dance in today's films: Hema Malini (Interview) - Oct 21, 2011
- Salsa, Latino edging out Indian classical dances in Bollywood? - Jan 05, 2011
- Hema Malini, daughters to perform at Khajuraho festival - Jan 31, 2011
- Ahana is now open to acting: Hema Malini - Jun 23, 2011
- 'Tell Me O Kkhuda' not a flop, says Hema - Nov 01, 2011
- Big heroines don't need item numbers: Hema Malini - Jun 04, 2012
- I worked hard to maintain 'Dreamgirl' tag: Hema Malini - Nov 22, 2011
- Ahana Deol Is All Set To Flag Off Her Bollywood Journey - Jan 06, 2011
- Esha Deol turns editor for 'Tell Me Oh Khuda' - Dec 10, 2010
- Yet to decide Esha's wedding date: Hema Malini - Mar 27, 2012
- Hema Malini Turns Director To Dharmendra And Esha Deol - Dec 28, 2010
- Dharamji's honour was long due: Hema Malini - Jan 25, 2012
- Karishma will well reprise my 'Satte Pe Satta' role: Hema Malini - Aug 02, 2011
- Padma Bhushan great, but late for dad: Ahana Deol - Jan 25, 2012
Tags: bollywood film, classical dances, dance form, dance recital, dance training, dhoom, esha deol, film dances, film industry, films, foray, hema malini, hindi film, independence day, indian business, indian classical dance, initial attempts, invitation, media interaction, professional council