“Clampett” happy at homeAugust 7th, 2009 - 6:19 pm ICT by IBNS
Aug 7 (IBNS) Donna Douglas still personifies Elly May Clampett, the critter-loving beauty from “The Beverly Hillbillies.”
Douglas said: Elly has always been good for me. That was a slice out of my life, a very happy slice out of my life.
Douglas returned from California to her native Louisiana a few years ago. She lives just outside Baton Rouge near her only child, a son who owns horses and several acres of land. Douglas likes to help him bale hay.
He added: Cutting grass, baling hay … I grew up doing all that stuff. I don’t mind getting sweaty and dirty. I enjoy being outside.
Douglas, out of the entertainment business for years, appeared in commercials and TV shows in the 1950s and ’60s. But she is best known for her role in “The Beverly Hillbillies,” the CBS comedy about a Tennessee family who moved to Beverly Hills after oil was discovered on their land. The show ran from 1962 to 1971.
Douglas, now 76, was chosen for the part of Elly May from more than 500 other actresses. She says she felt at ease playing the role because, like her character, she grew up a poor Southern tomboy. The experience came in handy when she was asked during her audition to milk a goat.
- Jennifer Aniston fell in love with goat - Mar 02, 2012
- Obama remembers Donna Summer - May 20, 2012
- Christian Bale Wins Early Golden Globe for 'Fighter' - Jan 17, 2011
- Taylor Swift to buy $3.5 mn mansion? - Apr 24, 2011
- Vera Farmiga to star in 'Goats' - Jan 12, 2011
- Mom pretended to be dead son to collect insurance money - Jun 06, 2012
- Singer Teena Marie passes away at 54 - Dec 27, 2010
- Gwyneth Paltrow gets body odour from trying on too many dresses - Jan 15, 2011
- Hooker Donna Asutaits jailed for tax evasion - Jul 10, 2012
- Case postponed as accused too fat to get into court - May 23, 2011
- Tori Spelling gets new pets! - Dec 14, 2011
- Zsa Zsa Gabor's doctor holds off leg amputation - Jan 04, 2011
- Louisiana woman guilty for defrauding American Red Cross - Feb 26, 2010
- Mary Bale, Woman Who Dumped Cat in Bin Charged With Animal Cruelty - Sep 21, 2010
- Haye preparing for Klitschko bout by gym workouts with 500 pounds-a-week stripper - Mar 18, 2011
Tags: 1950s, 60s, actresses, audition, baton rouge, beverly hillbillies, beverly hills, cbs comedy, commercials, donna douglas, entertainment business, goat, grass, happy at home, horses, ibns, native louisiana, tennessee family, tomboy, tv shows