Chinese beggar, shoeshine women give their earnings to quake victimsMay 23rd, 2008 - 8:41 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 23 (ANI): A homeless beggar in his 60s and a middle-aged shoeshine woman have come to epitomize people’s selflessness in supporting the victims of the Sichuan earthquake.
The beggar, named Xu Chao, with long grey hair and shabby clothes, has won wide acclaim in Nanjing, Jiangsu province, for donating money several times.
He started with five yuan at a donation centre run by the city’s civil affairs department on Saturday morning.
In the afternoon, he slipped 100 yuan into the box, muttering: “For the victims in the disaster areas.”
His generosity was soon noticed and he became a well-known figure in the city thanks to coverage in the local media.
Many people went up to him on the street to express their admiration and gratitude.
Some passers-by, moved by his gesture, gave him money, which he promptly went and donated, The China Daily reported.
In Hunan province, the shoeshine woman in Shuangfeng county donated 182 yuan on Monday, her whole day’s income. (ANI)
- Jackpot worth $2.5 mn goes unclaimed in China - Aug 01, 2011
- Over 1.5 mn people affected in China floods - Jul 15, 2011
- Rains likely to hit China's food bowl - May 28, 2012
- Grief in China as girl who was run over dies - Oct 21, 2011
- Fake fortune teller jailed in Shanghai - Sep 10, 2012
- Chinese police hunt for suspect in armed robbery - Jan 06, 2012
- 175 killed in China floods - Jun 20, 2011
- Woman gets life's rudest shock after 200 surgeries - Mar 10, 2012
- Beijing airport begging ring busted - Jul 18, 2012
- 11 killed in south China rains - Jul 15, 2012
- Eco-friendly tech expo opens in China - Nov 26, 2011
- Five Chinese women deplaned after midair brawl - Jul 03, 2012
- Drought affects 35 million in China - May 30, 2011
- China to have cloud computing base - Aug 22, 2011
- China busts gang for selling gutter oil - May 05, 2012
Tags: admiration, affairs department, beggar, chao, china daily, civil affairs, disaster areas, donation centre, generosity, gesture, grey hair, jiangsu province, local media, New Delhi, quake victims, saturday morning, selflessness, shabby clothes, sichuan, yuan