‘Chinatown’ listed the greatest movie everOctober 25th, 2010 - 12:47 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Oct 25 (ANI): After 36 years of its release in 1974, ‘Chinatown’ has now been voted as the greatest film ever made.
The Chandleresque ‘neo-noir’, with an Oscar-winning script by Robert Towne and a superlative performance by Nicholson as detective JJ Gittes, was voted into first place by a panel of Guardian and Observer critics.
Chinatown beat six other films in a shortlist drawn from the recently published seven-part newspaper series on ‘The Greatest Films of All Time’.
Equal second were Alfred Hitchock’s ‘Psycho’ (from the horror section) and Andrei Tarkovsky’s ‘Andrei Rublev’ (leading film the arthouse section).
Guardian film critic Peter Bradshaw said Chinatown was ’such a powerful piece of mythmaking, a brilliant evocation of Los Angeles as a spiritual desert,’ reports Sydney Morning Herald.
The Observer’s Philip French considered it a movie of ‘near perfection’.
The seven best
1. Chinatown (Roman Polanski, 1974)
2. Psycho (Alfred Hitchcock, 1960), Andrei Rublev (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1966)
4. Annie Hall (Woody Allen, 1976)
5. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)
6. Brief Encounter (David Lean, 1945)
7. Apocalypse Now (Francis Ford Coppola, 1979) (ANI)
- Anthony Hopkins to play Hitchcock - Dec 08, 2011
- Jessica Biel to play Vera Miles - Mar 22, 2012
- Hopkins likely to play Hitchcock - Jan 25, 2011
- Anthony Hopkins To Play Alfred Hitchcock On Big Screen? - Jan 23, 2011
- Anthony Hopkins Might Enact The Role Of Alfred Hitchcock - Jan 25, 2011
- Original score from Alfred Hitchcock's 'Psycho' on sale for $75K - Mar 14, 2011
- 'Hitchcock' role came to Hopkins years ago - Jul 16, 2012
- ''The Godfather'' tops ''Best Films Of All Time'' poll - Sep 24, 2008
- Joe Mantel Of 'Chinatown' Fame Dies At The Age Of 94 - Oct 01, 2010
- Miller to play Tippi Hedren - Dec 05, 2011
- What makes the Ultimate Horror Movie? - Oct 29, 2010
- Anthony Hopkins in talks to play Alfred Hitchcock - Jan 25, 2011
- "Chinatown" Actor Joe Mantell Dead - Oct 01, 2010
- 'The Hole' - A horror film without any gore (IANS Movie Review) - Mar 19, 2011
- 'The Italian Job': Voted The Best English Film Ever! - Jan 11, 2011
Tags: 2001 a space odyssey, alfred hitchcock, alfred hitchock, andrei rublev, andrei tarkovsky, annie hall, apocalypse now, brief encounter, francis ford coppola, greatest film, greatest films of all time, horror section, peter bradshaw, philip french, psycho alfred hitchcock, robert towne, roman polanski, stanley kubrick, sydney morning herald, woody allen