“Chinatown” Actor Joe Mantell DeadOctober 1st, 2010 - 7:59 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Oct 1, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Joe Mantell who immortalized his role in “China Town” died on Wednesday at 94 years of age in Los Angeles following a prolonged illness. His son said that the cause of death was complications arising out of pneumonia. The actor who is most cherished for the Roman Polanski film “Chinatown”, played the role of Walsh in the film and towards the end of the movies he says a one line dialogue which captured the heart of the audiences for decades to come - “Forget it, Jake. Its Chinatown”. The legendary actor starred in more than 70 movies and television shows and acted in Alfred Hitchcock’s film “Bird”. He had an eventful career and with each flick he excelled himself. He starred in the cult movie “Marty” which also earned him an Academy Award nomination for best Supporting Actor.
Apart from working onscreen he was also a stage actor whose credits included a Broadway musical. He appeared in numerous television shows in 1950’s and made guest appearances in numerous series like “Mission Impossible”, “The Defenders” and “The Twilight zone”. He also had a regular role in the comedy “Pete and Gladys” in the 1960’s.
He had a long and eventful career and made history with two sidekick roles, one in “Chinatown”, and the other in “Marty”. His death is one big loss to the film industry but actors like Joe Mantell remain immortalized in the minds of their audiences. He is survived by his wife, two daughters, a grandson and a step grandson. The date of his obituary is yet to be revealed.
- Joe Mantel Of 'Chinatown' Fame Dies At The Age Of 94 - Oct 01, 2010
- Chinatown star Joe Mantell dies at the age of 94 years - Oct 01, 2010
- Anthony Hopkins To Play Alfred Hitchcock On Big Screen? - Jan 23, 2011
- Anthony Hopkins Might Enact The Role Of Alfred Hitchcock - Jan 25, 2011
- Hopkins likely to play Hitchcock - Jan 25, 2011
- 'Chinatown' listed the greatest movie ever - Oct 25, 2010
- SRK takes cue from Alfred Hitchcock for 'RA.One' - Jun 02, 2011
- 'Hitchcock' role came to Hopkins years ago - Jul 16, 2012
- Ernest Borgnine To Receive Lifetime Achievement Award At The Screen Actors Guild Awards 2011 - Jan 30, 2011
- Alfred Hitchcock Flick "Strangers On A Train" Shown On TCM - Apr 18, 2010
- Miller to play Tippi Hedren - Dec 05, 2011
- Anthony Hopkins to play Hitchcock - Dec 08, 2011
- Polanski receives lifetime award in Zurich - Sep 28, 2011
- Veteran Actor Ernest Borgnine To Get Lifetime Achievement Award - Aug 19, 2010
- Tippi Hedren alleges that Alfred Hitchcock ruined her career - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: academy award nomination, alfred hitchcock, best supporting actor, cause of death, china town, cult movie, film industry, gina gomez, guest appearances, joe mantell, legendary actor, mission impossible, pete and gladys, roman polanski, roman polanski film, sidekick, stage actor, step grandson, television shows, twilight zone