China places restrictions on Avatar screeningsJanuary 23rd, 2010 - 11:21 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Beijing, Jan 23 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Avatar was released in China over 2 weeks ago, and it has tugged a chord with its Chinese viewers. It has since then proved to be a huge hit there as well. Tickets are in short supply as there are a lot of people who want to enjoy the 3D sci-fi flick. However the Chinese authorities have some other unsavory plans for the Chinese people who want to see the movie. They have curtailed the Avatar screenings, which seems like an apparent bid to stop the people from watching the movie.
According to Chinese media, numerous movie theatres have confirmed that they have been asked to stop the screening of the 2D version of the movie. A notice was put up at a local cinema in Wuxi city, Jiangsu province, and saying that “the China Film Group, distributor of Avatar, has notified the movie theater to pull the movie from screens on Jan 23. Those who have pre-purchased movie tickets will get a full refund”. Later it was removed from the website.
The restrictions are in place only for the 2D version, as the 3D equipped theatres are hard to come by, in China. So this seems almost like a complete ban for the sci-fi movie. China has around 900 3D theatres in the entire country, and Avatar will be played in them till February.
- Avatar screenings curtailed in China - Jan 21, 2010
- Avatar overtakes Titanic in box-office earnings - Jan 26, 2010
- "Avatar" In China To Be Replaced By "Confucius" - Jan 23, 2010
- James Cameron to help in Chinese 3D film - Apr 22, 2012
- Cameron tapped for China's 3D film - Apr 22, 2012
- Avatar overtakes Titanic - Jan 26, 2010
- China suppresses 'subversive' Avatar - Jan 19, 2010
- Avatar Vs Avatar - Oct 07, 2010
- Potpouri of hits - Top 10 Bollywood movies (2011 in Retrospect) (To go with Bollywood went from gloom to glory) - Dec 15, 2011
- Cameron hit by lawsuit again over 'Avatar' - Dec 20, 2011
- James Cameron: Gifts 11 Toyota Prius To Cast Of Sci-Fi Flick 'Avatar' - Dec 17, 2010
- James Cameron's Avatar shines at 3D awards show - Feb 25, 2010
- 'Avatar' tops 'most-pirated films of 2010' list - Dec 22, 2010
- 'Avatar' to be re-released with extra footage Aug 27 - Jul 08, 2010
- Avatar To Re-Release Worldwide With Extra Footage On August 27 - Jul 12, 2010