Chilean miners’ saga to become a filmJuly 26th, 2011 - 12:05 pm ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, July 26 (IANS/EFE) A well-known Hollywood producer and representatives of the 33 Chilean miners who spent 70 days underground after a mine collapse announced Monday that they finally have agreed to bring that saga to the silver screen.
“At its heart, this is a story about the triumph of the human spirit and a testament to the courage and perseverance of the Chilean people,” said producer Mike Medavoy in a press release.
“I can’t think of a better story than this one to bring to the screen,” he said.
The film’s screenplay will be written by Jose Rivera, who worked on “The Motorcycle Diaries”, and will be based on the events that took place last year in the San Jose Mine, where the 33 men were trapped some 700 meters underground for more than two months before they were rescued.
“One year after the collapse of the mine, we consider this to be a great step towards the realisation of a film based on our experience in the mine. This is the only official and authorised film about what we lived (through) in the San Jose mine,” miner Juan Andres Illanes said.
Medavoy and Edward McGurn, the vice president of Phoenix Pictures, will produce the film using the recently created Half Circle production company.
Filming is expected to commence sometime in 2012.
- Trapped Chilean miners discussed cannibalism - Oct 11, 2011
- Movie chronicling ordeal of 33 trapped Chilean miners in the making - Dec 06, 2010
- Pele sends autographed jersey to trapped Chile miners - Sep 19, 2010
- Javier Bardem To Star In A Film About Chilean Miners - Oct 13, 2010
- Chilean president chats with trapped miners - Sep 21, 2010
- Chilean director to make film on trapped miners - Sep 08, 2010
- Bolivian miner trapped in Chile to get new job - Oct 10, 2010
- 14 miners who survived Chile's 2010 accident seek retirement - Jul 04, 2011
- Chile firm to sell mine from which 33 men rescued to avoid bankruptcy - Nov 26, 2010
- Chile mine rescue enters final phase (Lead) - Oct 12, 2010
- Drill mishap delays Chilean mine rescue - Sep 23, 2010
- Bardem may star in trapped Chilean miners movie - Oct 12, 2010
- Brad Pitt to make a film on trapped Chilean miners? - Nov 16, 2010
- Chilean miners accuse President Pinera of failing to keep 'medical care deal' - Jan 05, 2011
- Trapped Chilean miner is blessed with a daughter - Sep 15, 2010
Tags: chilean people, courage, hollywood, hollywood producer, human spirit, jose rivera, mcgurn, mike medavoy, mine collapse, miners, motorcycle diaries, perseverance, phoenix, Press Release, saga, screenplay, silver screen, testament, triumph, vice president