Children inherit diabetes from parentsAugust 21st, 2008 - 1:34 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Aug 21 (ANI): Kids and young adults, who become diabetic, should blame their parents, for a new study has found that the condition is inherited.
Researchers suggest that unusual form of inheritance might play a role in the increasing rates of diabetes, especially in children and young adults.
The research team is currently studying the metabolic programming, which occurs when an insult during a critical period of development, either in the womb or soon after birth, triggers permanent changes in metabolism.
In the present study conducted using a mouse model the team looked at the effects of a diet high in saturated fat on mice and their offspring.
The results showed that a high-fat diet induced type 2 diabetes in the adult mice and that this effect was reversed by stopping the diet.
However, if female mice continued a high-fat diet during pregnancy and/or suckling, their offspring also had a greater frequency of diabetes development, even though the offspring were given a moderate-fat diet.
These mice were then mated with healthy mice, and the next generation offspring (grandchildren of the original high-fat fed generation) could develop diabetes as well.
They found that exposing a fetal mouse to high levels of saturated fats can cause it and its offspring to acquire diabetes, even if the mouse goes off the high-fat diet and its young are never directly exposed.
The study will be published in the September issue of the Journal of Lipid Research. (ANI)
- What babies eat determines risk of obesity - Aug 31, 2012
- Parents transmit diabetes to unsuspecting children - Aug 21, 2008
- Apple compound may help burn fat, reduce obesity - Jun 21, 2012
- Mum's stress in pregnancy 'puts female offspring at obesity risk' - Apr 13, 2011
- Exercise can undo effects of maternal obesity - Feb 10, 2012
- Short-term, high-fat diet 'may cut heart attack damage' - Apr 14, 2011
- Pollution 'can cause obesity and diabetes' - Dec 28, 2010
- Human enzyme holds promise of weight loss - Nov 15, 2011
- Birch bark ingredient has an array of metabolic benefits - Jan 05, 2011
- Low carb, high-fat diet may reverse kidney failure in diabetes - Apr 21, 2011
- Maternal obesity ups risk of heart disease in offspring - Feb 10, 2010
- Natural compound prevents diabetes - Sep 04, 2011
- Shed those extra kilos before pregnancy for a healthy baby - Feb 03, 2011
- Why fatty diets during pregnancy make kids obese - Nov 23, 2010
- Obese kids having cholesterol levels of 50-year-olds - Mar 23, 2011