Cheryl Cole to help create malaria awareness in AfricaAugust 15th, 2010 - 3:00 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 15 (IANS) Singer Cheryl Cole, who is recuperating after being struck by malaria, has vowed to help battle the killer disease in the poorest parts of Africa.
“It is a very brave decision. Cheryl has thought long and hard about it. This is a life-changing, landmark experience for her. She’s seen how malaria Âdestroy people’s lives and now has first-hand knowledge of just how serious it is,” said Cheryl’s friend.
The 27-year-old had spent 11 days in hospital after catching the highly Âinfectious virus during a holiday in Tanzania with Derek Hough.
Now Cheryl plans to return to the continent to raise awareness about the disease with the help of Comic Relief charity. She will first visit Uganda after she finishes the forthcoming series of talent hunt show “X Factor”. She will meet the families of malaria victims and raise awareness about the mosquito nets that help stop the mosquito bites which spread the disease that continues to ravage Africa.
Cheryl will hand over a large consignment of the nets to children when she visits the Ruguse Primary School in Hoima, a town 140 miles north-west of capital of Uganda, Kampala
She will also visit remote medical centres that distribute medicines to curb the disease.
“Cheryl got the best care possible when she got back from Tanzania and she is very grateful for it. But she is aware that millions of Africans are not so lucky.
“After what she has been through, you might have thought Africa was the last place she’d be wanting to go to. But the reverse is true. She wants to get out there as soon as the ‘X Factor’ has been wrapped up,” said the friend.
Cheryl will also tour medical centres to meet doctors and patients who Âstruggle to get hold of sufficient supplies of anti-malaria medicine.
- Cheryl Cole to help create malaria awareness in Africa - Aug 15, 2010
- Cheryl Cole 'was given just 24 hours to live after getting malaria' - Oct 22, 2010
- Malaria awareness - in a stylish way (Today is World Malaria Day) (With Images) - Apr 25, 2012
- Malaria awareness - in a stylish way (Lead) (Today is World Malaria Day) (With Images) - Apr 25, 2012
- Cheryl Cole back to Africa - less than 6 months after catching malaria - Dec 31, 2010
- Sri Lanka virtually eliminates malaria - Aug 31, 2012
- Mandy Moore joins fight against malaria in Africa - Oct 03, 2010
- Mosquitoes disappear in some parts of Africa - Aug 31, 2011
- John Mayer joins fight against malaria - Oct 31, 2010
- Cheryl Cole contracts malaria - Jul 06, 2010
- Cheryl Cole planning romantic holiday with Derek Hough - Nov 29, 2010
- Malaria battle changed Cheryl Cole's life - Nov 09, 2011
- Malaria stricken Cheryl to miss 'X Factor' start - Jul 12, 2010
- Cheryl Cole bans 'Girls Aloud' pals to see her in hospital - Jul 14, 2010
- Cheryl looks healthy in first public outing post malaria - Jul 30, 2010
Tags: africans, brave decision, cheryl cole, comic relief charity, consignment, derek hough, forthcoming series, friend cheryl, hand knowledge, infectious virus, kampala, killer disease, malaria awareness, malaria medicine, medical centres, mosquito bites, mosquito nets, show x, talent hunt, x factor