Charmian Carr is Sound of Music ActressApril 13th, 2009 - 10:01 pm ICT by GD
The Sound of Music immortalized the von Trapp family and their young governess Maria and with them Julie Andrews, Christopher Plummer, and Heather Menzies became household names. Another person who is identified with her character from the film is Charmian Carr, the woman who played Liesl in the movie.
Charmian Farnon, or Charmian Carr, 66, was born December 27, 1942 to Vaudeville actress Rita Oehman and musician Brian Farnon. Her parents named her Charmian from a character in the Shakespearean play Antony and Cleopatra. Her mom Rita made her audition for a role in The Sound of Music which also starred Julie Andrews, Christopher Plummer, Nicholas Hammond, Heather Menzies, Duane Chase, Angela Cartwright, Debbie Turner, and Kym Karath. At the time Charmian was a college going girl who had also taken up some work when Rita made her audition.
The director of The Sound of Music decided Farnon was a long last name for her and after choosing form single syllable last names, she decided that Carr would be her preferred last name on showbiz. She says working on the film was a memorable experience and that she particularly remembers sliding through a window in the gazebo scene which had hurt her but she had to shoot with the pain.
Her most famous appearance in the movie was the song “You are 16, going on 17″ as Liesl with the character Rolf. Charmian was married to Jay Brent in May, 1967 and the marriage lasted till 1991. She now owns an interior decorating company and her clients include Micheal Jackson. She has also authored two books Forever Liesl and Letters to Liesl.
- 'The Sound Of Music' cast reunite after 45 years on Oprah Winfrey Show - Oct 29, 2010
- Crazy fan rush for 'Sound of Music' 45-year reunion on Oprah - Oct 02, 2010
- "The Sound Of Music" Cast Reunites For The First Time Since Its Premier - Oct 29, 2010
- 'Sound of Music' associated Von Trapp family member dies age 97 - Dec 30, 2010
- Von Trapp family descendants to perform in China - Jul 14, 2012
- 'Sound of Music' cast to reunite on Oprah's show - Sep 28, 2010
- Cast of 'The Sound of Music' 'to reunite for 1st time in 45yrs' - Sep 28, 2010
- The 'Sounds of Music' Cast Reunite on Oprah - Sep 28, 2010
- 'Sound of Music' actor 'devastated over not being invited to reunion' - Oct 30, 2010
- The Story Of Von Trapp Family - Dec 28, 2009
- Meryl Streep wins best actress trophy at BAFTA - Feb 13, 2012
- 'The Artist' wins top honours at BAFTA (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Brit woman who breached noisy sex Asbo escapes being jailed - Jun 30, 2010
- Kerry Katona to make pop music comeback - Mar 30, 2011
- Christopher Plummer's Caesar Act Shown On CTV - Dec 28, 2009
Tags: 16 going on 17, actress rita, angela cartwright, antony and cleopatra, charmian carr, christopher plummer, debbie turner, decorating company, duane chase, governess, heather menzies, household names, julie andrews, last names, memorable experience, musician brian, nicholas hammond, shakespearean play, sound of music, von trapp family