Charlize Theron lending support to gay marriage rallyMay 7th, 2009 - 3:27 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 07 (ANI): Oscar-winning actress Charlize Theron is extending support to an upcoming rally for gay marriage in central California.
The actress has joined progressive grassroots organization Courage Campaign to encourage everyone to join her at Meet in the Middle for Equality rally, the event slated for Saturday after the California Supreme Court announces its decision on upholding or overturning the anti-gay marriage measure, Prop. 8.
“We know the people whose lives are on the line-those who identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender-will be there,” E! Online quoted Theron as stating in a letter released by Courage Campaign.
“But we need everyone there. Especially straight people.
“While we don’t know when the Supreme Court will rule exactly, we know it will be within the next four weeks.
“Californians need to be prepared to commit right now to go to Fresno on the Saturday after the decision is announced, no matter what that decision may be.
“The battle for equality has to be fought in Middle America-in places like Fresno, California-not just in gay-friendly cities like San Francisco and Los Angeles.
“California’s Central Valley population is far more reflective of national attitudes towards LGBT equality-and until we engage the communities of Middle America, we will not achieve full equality in California,” she added. (ANI)
- Charlize Theron rallies for gay marriage - May 08, 2009
- Federal district court rules California gay marriage ban unconstitutional - Aug 05, 2010
- Federal judge overturns California gay marriage ban (Lead, changing dateline) - Aug 05, 2010
- Dharun Ravi finds support from gay rights advocates - May 21, 2012
- GLAAD requests all gay supporters to wear purple on 20th October - Oct 20, 2010
- Carrie Underwood supports same-sex marriage - Jun 13, 2012
- Gay Marriage Law Verdict Makes Queer Couples In California Elated - Aug 05, 2010
- Custom made in India - holidays for LGBTs - Nov 28, 2011
- Celebrities Support Overturning Of Proposition 8 - Aug 05, 2010
- Gaga ends deal with Target - Mar 10, 2011
- From closet to freedom for India's gays, two years on - Jul 01, 2011
- Delhi's gay community set to celebrate July 2 ruling - Jul 01, 2011
- Eminem Expresses Support For Gay Marriages - Jun 18, 2010
- Anti-gay bullying unacceptable: Nick Jonas - Jan 21, 2012
- India can tap booming gay tourism sector: Tour promoter - Oct 21, 2011
Tags: actress charlize theron, angeles california, california supreme court, californians, central california, central valley, charlize theron, courage, equality, fresno california, gay marriage, grassroots organization, marriage, middle america, national attitudes, population, rally, s central, san francisco