Characters like Mogambo, Gabbar are no longer created: Kiran KumarMarch 13th, 2011 - 10:26 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 13 (IANS) He impressed one and all as the vicious Lothiya Pathan in the 1988 blockbuster “Tezaab”, and actor Kiran Kumar, son of late character actor Jeevan, feels that with cinema turning realistic, characters like Mogambo and Gabbar Singh are not being created any more.
His father was one of the popular villains in his time and his style of dialogue delivery and guffaw is still remembered. He is known for his roles in films like “Waqt”, “Amar Akbar Anthony” and “Dharam-Veer”, among others.
“My father and Pran uncle were experts in a style because that kind of acting was popular at that time, but that style has gone away. They don’t create people like Gabbar Singh or Mogambo any more. Every actor today is playing a realistic character,” he said.
Over a career spanning 30 years, Kiran has not only acted in films like “Teezab”, “Khuda Gawah” and “Pyar Kiya Toh Darna Kya” but has also carved a niche for himself in television with shows like “Aandhi”, “Miilee,” and “Grishasti”.
The actor believes the film and television industry has evolved over the years.
“In today’s world, everything is evolving, improving, and new ideas are being probed. Cinema has become realistic and it’s a great time for the film and TV industry as well,” said Kiran, who is back on the small screen after a two-year break with Sony’s “Chajje Chajje Ka Pyaar”.
“As a matter of fact, actors of our age have so much of work on television that they can choose what they want,” he added.
Kiran says he shared a great camaraderie with his dad.
“I had a great relationship with my dad, and we were great friends. We discussed everything under the sun, he used to tell me how he used to handle situations, but then he used to tell me to handle situations in my own way,” Kiran said.
“He felt that one should always learn and discover on his own, instead of someone else forcing a point. This is the same thing that I am doing with my son too,” he added.
Kiran is married to Gujarati actress Sushma Verma and has two children - Vikas and Srishti. Vikas is currently assisting director David Dhawan and would soon be making his acting debut.
“The fact that he is my son or grandson of Jeevan, does not give him the right to claim that ‘I’ll become an actor’. It requires a lot of hard work, sincerity and honesty.
“I feel that before you become an actor, it’s very important that you know all the aspects of filmmaking. Once you are an assistant director, you are open to learn so many things…I am sure he will live up to the family’s name,” he added.
During his two-year break from television, Kiran was busy shooting for “Yeh Faasley”. He has also completed the shooting of an international film “Love Has No Language”, which stars Rati Agnihotri.
The actor is currently busy writing a movie script.
- 'Roadies' a semi-planned reality show: Shambhavi Sharma - Mar 22, 2011
- SRK takes cue from Alfred Hitchcock for 'RA.One' - Jun 02, 2011
- To do or not to do: Nikhil on Abu Salem biopic - Apr 07, 2012
- I want to produce a musical: Vikas Bhalla - May 26, 2012
- After 'Jhansi...', Zee TV brings another story of valour (With Images) - Jun 03, 2011
- Riyaz Shaikh To Recreate 'Sholay' In Aakhri Gabbar - Oct 07, 2010
- 'Yeh Faasley' Set To Release In November - Aug 28, 2010
- Hrithik eager to show 'Agneepath' to Big B - Jan 17, 2012
- Sanjay Dutt revives Bollywood's larger-than-life villain - Jan 18, 2012
- Bollywood debutant gets Hollywood chance with Dev Patel - Feb 15, 2011
- Pawan Kalyan hits the bull's eye with 'Gabbar Singh' (Telugu Movie Review) - May 13, 2012
- Doordarshan needs to revamp itself: TV actor Virender Saxena - Mar 15, 2011
- Debutant directors have passion for work: Anupam Kher - Feb 15, 2011
- 'RA.One' might have some parts in 3D: SRK - Jun 01, 2011
- Can't think 'Mr.India 2' without Amrish Puri: Shekhar Kapur (Movie Snippets) - Jun 23, 2012
Tags: actor jeevan, amar akbar anthony, blockbuster, character actor, film and television, film and tv, gabbar singh, great friends, great relationship, guffaw, khuda gawah, kiran kumar, kiya, kya, miilee, pathan, realistic characters, television industry, tezaab, tv industry