Chadha pays tribute to ‘Ealing Comedies’ with ‘It’s A Wonderful…’ (With Images)April 20th, 2010 - 11:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 20 (IANS) Did you Notice the looming presence of comic ghosts in the trailers of her new film “It’s A Wonderful Afterlife”? Britain-based Indian filmmaker Gurinder Chadha’s upcoming outing is a tribute to the classic ‘Ealing Comedies’ of London.
“It’s A Wonderful Afterlife” has ghosts present throughout the film in a more comical than scary fashion just like in the ‘Ealing Comedies’.
“I have seen few Ealing Comedies of early 1950s and have loved the genre. While scripting ‘It’s A Wonderful Afterlife’, I thought it will be fun if there are ghosts in the film with funny punchlines,” Chadha said in a statement.
“In the film they are always there on screen but only Mrs. Sethi (Shabana’s character) can see them. It’s funny to see how she interacts with them and everybody around her thinks there is something wrong with her because she is talking to herself,” she added.
The ‘Ealing Comedies’ were a series of film comedies produced by Ealing Studios during the period 1947 to 1957. These usually included a degree of social comment. Some of these films were “Kind Hearts and Coronets”, “The Lavender Hill Mob” and “The Ladykillers” to name a few.
Shabana Azmi is hoping the genre, which is new for India, is accepted well here.
“‘It’s A Wonderful Afterlife’ is a typical Gurinder Chadha film — completely wacky. In Britain, the ‘Ealing Comedies’, which were comedic but also had an element of horror, have been very popular. However, it’s a completely new genre for India. I’m hoping the film does well and opens up the doors for a new genre in India,” she said.
Releasing May 7, “It’s A Wonderful Afterlife” is a romantic comedy about a mother (Shabana) who goes to extreme lengths to get her daughter married.
It also stars Sendhil Ramamurthy, Goldy Notay, Sally Hawkins, Jimi Mistry, Zoe Wanamaker and Mark Addy.
- 'It's A Wonderful...' comedy about ghosts and marriage (IANS Preview) - May 03, 2010
- Get a glimpse of Gurinder Chadha's new film April 1 - Mar 29, 2010
- Chadha's twins make acting debut with 'It's A Wonderful...' - Apr 14, 2010
- 'Hai Marjawaan!' outlandish, exasperating (IANS Film Review; Rating:**) - May 08, 2010
- Shahid shines again with 'Badmaash Company' - May 11, 2010
- Movie Review: It's A Wonderful Afterlife (2010) - May 07, 2010
- Gurinder Chadha's film gets a Hindi Dub Now - Apr 06, 2010
- Two UK premieres for Gurinder Chadha's "It's A Wonderful Afterlife" - Mar 13, 2010
- 'It's a Wonderful Afterlife' eagerly awaited!! - Apr 01, 2010
- I don't want to do song-and-dance film: Sendhil Ramamurthy (With Images) - Apr 07, 2010
- Shabana Azmi in Gurinder Chadha's 'It's a Wonderful Afterlife' - Apr 07, 2009
- I have exactly 15 words in Hindi in 'Shor': Sendhil Ramamurthy - Apr 22, 2010
- 'It's A Wonderful Afterlife' my best work: Gurinder Chadha - Jan 11, 2010
- Sendhil apprehensive about mouthing Hindi in Bollywood - Apr 21, 2010
- Sanjeev Bhaskar wary of eating at Gurinder Chadha's house! - Apr 15, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,