Censor Board objects to ‘intimate scenes’, ‘Fashion’ gets ‘A’ certificateOctober 14th, 2008 - 3:03 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Oct 14 (IANS) Award-winning director Madhur Bhandarkar is upset that the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) has given his next film “Fashion” an “adults-only” certificate.”Given the movie’s theme, I certainly never expected that the board would give it a ‘U’ certificate, but I was sure it would receive a U/A certificate,” Bhandarkar told IANS Tuesday.
Bhandarkar, who has co-produced the film with UTV Motion Pictures, describes “Fashion” as his most glamorous film. He roped in Priyanka Chopra, Kangna Ranaut, Arjan Bajwa and Mugdha Godse to do lead roles.
The board members, who saw the movie Monday in Mumbai, objected to six scenes including Priyanka and Arjan’s lovemaking scenes and Priyanka and Kangana’s dragging at drugs scenes. The members asked Bhandarkar and his co-producer, Ronnie Screwvala, to delete them from the movie.
As the director refused to delete the scenes, the board has given it an ‘A’ certificate.
The members refused to be convinced by Bhandarkar’s argument that the scenes being objected to are an integral part of the movie and that yanking those off would mean compromising with the realistic depiction of the movie’s subject.
“Although we had the option of appealing to the Revising Committee of the board against the Examining Committee’s decision, we chose not to do so as that would have taken a lot of time. Besides, there was no knowing what would be the decision of the Board’s higher committee,” Bhandarkar said.
“Fashion”, which takes a close look at the other side of the fashion world, is due for release Oct 29.
- 'Barfi!' gets U-certificate, Anurag Basu excited - Sep 02, 2012
- Kareena's smoking scenes cut from 'Heroine' trailer - Jul 21, 2012
- NGO welcomes 'A' certificate for 'Heroine' - Sep 07, 2012
- Why does censor board love Karan Johar? - Jan 28, 2012
- 'Heroine' gets A-certificate (Movie Snippets) - Jul 14, 2012
- Hindus ask India's new film censor chair Leela Samson to curb vulgarity and violence - Apr 02, 2011
- Supreme Court lifts Uttar Pradesh ban on 'Aarakshan' (Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- We've revamped 'Heroine' script for Aishwarya: Bhandarkar - May 15, 2011
- 'Heroine' makers move court on smoking scene rider (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Bhandarkar unhappy with bar on 'A' films on TV - Aug 28, 2012
- Censor board not into moral policing: Sharmila Tagore (Interview) - Jan 17, 2011
- 'Aarakshan' gets clean chit from censors - Jul 19, 2011
- CBFC demands force Dunno Y.... Na Jaane Kyun to miss October 22 deadline - Oct 07, 2010
- Gay Kissing and Love-Making Scene Banned By The Censorboard - Sep 25, 2010
- 'Blatant violation of anti-tobacco law in 'Heroine' promos' - Jul 25, 2012