Catherine Zeta Jones, the next Doctor Who?December 19th, 2008 - 12:52 pm ICT by ANI
London, December 19 (ANI): Catherine Zeta Jones may run as the top contender to bag the role of Doctor Who in the next series, according to the writer behind the Brit sci-fi TV programme.
Executive producer Russell T Davies has revealed that the idea of having a female Doctor Who would be a welcoming one and that the Swansea born Oscar-winner could be perfect for the role, having
“Catherine Zeta Jones would be great,” the Telegraph quoted him as saying.
The actress was said to have an added advantage of her Welsh heritage since the show had been filmed in Cardiff while Davies himself was a Welsh.
Having Catherine take over the role of The Doctor, presently played by David Tennant, would mark a chapter in television history since women had been reduced in importance to the role of the protagonists companion since the BBC production began in 1963.
However, speaking of actors waiting in line for the role, Davies added: Whoever becomes the Doctor has to take on a whole life, it’’s not just taking part in a TV show. It’’s a lot of soul-searching to do.”
The show, which tells the adventures of a mysterious alien time-traveller known as “the Doctor” who travels in his space and time-ship, has been listed in Guinness World Records as the longest-running sci-fi television show in the world and forms an important part of Brit popular culture. (ANI)
- Catherine Zeta-Jones to play Liz Taylor in biopic? - May 01, 2011
- Russell T Davies wants Catherine Zeta Jones in Doctor Who - Sep 09, 2008
- David Tennant tops 'Most Popular Doctor Who Stars' poll - Oct 23, 2009
- 'Source Code': An engrossing, entertaining thriller (IANS Film Review, Rating:****) - Apr 30, 2011
- Catherine Zeta-Jones to play Cleopatra - Jun 18, 2012
- Emily Blunt to star in 'Looper' - Oct 05, 2010
- Catherine Zeta Jones' agony over Michael Douglas's throat cancer - Sep 05, 2010
- In US, Zeta-Jones misses family - Jun 17, 2012
- British stiff upper lip caused Catherine Zeta-Jones' break down: Michael Douglas - Apr 27, 2011
- Zeta Jones diet secret - bacon sandwich - Jul 25, 2010
- Zeta-Jones not pregnant - Jan 26, 2012
- Matt Damon to join sci-fi movie 'Elysium'? - Dec 14, 2010
- Catherine Zeta-Jones' Broadway debut - Nov 29, 2009
- Michael Douglas Joins 'Stand Up 2 Cancer' - Sep 03, 2010
- Zeta-Jones 'hopes to remove stigma from depression' - Apr 21, 2011
Tags: added advantage, alien time, bbc production, catherine zeta jones, david tennant, doctor who, executive producer, female doctor, guinness world records, oscar winner, russell t davies, sci fi tv, space and time, television history, television show, time traveller, top contender, tv programme, waiting in line, welsh heritage