Cate Blanchett, hubby lending support to young Sydney artistsApril 4th, 2008 - 4:58 pm ICT by admin
Melbourne, Apr 4 (ANI): Young Sydney artists have found support in one of Hollywoods star couple - Cate Blanchett and Andrew Upton - whore selling two valuable works from their personal art collection in a bid to reinvest the money in works by local upcoming artists.
The actress and her playwright husband have got their eyes on supporting a new wave of artists.
“They have got their eyes on supporting a new wave of artists,” The Daily Telegraph quoted Deutscher and Hackett auctioneers’ Damian Hackett, as saying of the sale of the works in Melbourne on April 16.
Blanchett and Upton are based in Sydney, where they became co-artistic directors of the Sydney Theatre Company in December.
“I understand they have a substantial (art) collection. They have said they are active and constant collectors and that’s what they plan to continue to do, Hackett said.
The two works for sale from the Blanchett/Upton collection are by well-known artists. Rosalie Gascoigne’s Iron Bark, 1994-5, is estimated to sell for between 60,000 dollars and 80,000 dollars.
The other work is a painting by New Zealand artist Colin McCahon, titled Noughts and Crosses 7, (The First Set), 1976. Its estimate is 280,000 dollars to 340,000 dollars. (ANI)
- Cate Blanchett supports rainwater harvesting - Sep 04, 2011
- Cate Blanchett calls for improvements in Sydney for theatre - Mar 10, 2011
- Blanchett not patient enough to direct films - Mar 01, 2012
- 'Raza masterpiece unsold but art market stable' - Mar 22, 2012
- Cate Blanchett and hubby put environmental conservation as first priority - Sep 06, 2010
- A free fair for young artists to sell art directly to buyers - Jul 12, 2012
- Obama names Indian-American to national arts council - Jul 25, 2012
- Cate Blanchett and Andrew Upton extend stay at Sydney Theatre Company - Jan 01, 2010
- Raza painting to be sold by Sotheby's (With Image) - Mar 19, 2012
- Ethnic Gond art finds exclusive boutique on high street (With Images) - Jul 30, 2011
- Affordable Art Fair comes to India - Oct 28, 2011
- 40 artists donate to South Asian art platform - Nov 05, 2011
- Cate Blanchett, hubby credited with transforming Sydney Theatre Company - Jan 04, 2010
- Playboy's 125 pieces of art collection to go under hammer - Nov 09, 2010
- Tyeb Mehta, Khoj, Pakistani art to lead Christie's Asian sale (With Image) - May 30, 2012
Tags: actress, andrew upton, artistic directors, auctioneers, cate blanchett, daily telegraph, damian, hackett, hubby, iron bark, melbourne, new wave, personal art collection, playwright, rosalie gascoigne, star couple, sydney artists, sydney theatre company, whore, zealand artist