Cate Blanchett bags inaugural Women of Style award Down UnderMay 13th, 2009 - 3:06 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, May 13 (ANI): Oscar-Winner Cate Blanchett made it to the list of the inaugural InStyle Women of Style Awards for the second time, and said that she was thrilled to have received the honour.
Blanchett, who turns 40 on May 14, is among the ten women to have received the award celebrating stylish Australian women, in a ceremony attended by about 250 people in Sydney yesterday.
The ‘Elizabeth’ star, who is also the Sydney Theatre Company co-director, scored the Reader’s Choice and Arts and Culture gongs.
However, Cate was unable to attend the event due to family commitments.
In a video message, Blanchett said that she was especially “chuffed’ to win the arts and culture award, scoring over the likes of renowned choreographer Meryl Tankard and writer Tara June Winch.
“Particularly because of the company I’m keeping - and it was a diverse little group of us,’ the Courier Mail quoted her as saying.
She added: “Being someone who has had the great good fortune to work in both film and theatre and having a passion for the visual arts as well as architecture, a diverse and broad culture is really important to me as an Australian.’
Actress Toni Collette won the award in the entertainment category, while model and TV host Sarah Murdoch and retired surfer Layne Beachley tied for the award for community and charity work.
Among the judges were fashion designer Collette Dinnigan, film director Gillian Armstrong, and Museum of Contemporary Art director Elizabeth Ann Macgregor. (ANI)
- Cate Blanchett calls for improvements in Sydney for theatre - Mar 10, 2011
- Cate Blanchett would love to have more children - May 11, 2009
- Cate Blanchett supports rainwater harvesting - Sep 04, 2011
- Blanchett not patient enough to direct films - Mar 01, 2012
- Cate Blanchett's theatre 'goes green' - Jun 26, 2010
- Blanchett takes kids to work - Jul 28, 2012
- Cate Blanchett and hubby put environmental conservation as first priority - Sep 06, 2010
- Blanchett extends contract with Sydney theatre - Jan 03, 2010
- Cate Blanchett and Andrew Upton extend stay at Sydney Theatre Company - Jan 01, 2010
- Cate Blanchett Mermerizes Audiences With Her Performance In "A Steetcar Named Desire" - Nov 09, 2009
- Cate Blanchett, hubby credited with transforming Sydney Theatre Company - Jan 04, 2010
- 'Shane Warne' the Musical gets top Helpmann award - Jul 28, 2009
- Cate Blanchett joins 'The Hobbit' cast - Dec 09, 2010
- Baichung gets inaugural Banga-Samman award - Feb 10, 2012
- Nicole Kidman, Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett, Geoffrey Rush go postal - Feb 04, 2009
Tags: australian actress, australian women, cate blanchett, charity work, courier mail, culture award, director gillian armstrong, elizabeth ann, family commitments, fashion designer, gongs, good fortune, inaugural women, meryl tankard, museum of contemporary art, sarah murdoch, style award, sydney theatre company, toni collette, tv host