Castro’s daughter wants Banderas to play her dad in filmJanuary 15th, 2012 - 2:26 pm ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Jan 15 (IANS/EFE) The estranged daughter of Cuban leader Fidel Castro wants Hollywood actor Antonio Banderas to play her father in the upcoming biopic “Castro’s Daughter”.
Alina Fernandez suggested the name of the “Mask of Zorro” star to production company Mankind Entertainment. The movie would be directed by Michael Radform, and shot in Puerto Rico.
“I have been a huge fan of Antonio for years, and hope to see him play my father. I think he has a phenomenal charisma, and think he has the nerve to play the role perfectly… I’m very excited that he would consider this,” Fernandez said.
“Castro’s Daughter” will tell the story of Fernandez, born in 1956 of a romance between young Fidel Castro and Cuban socialite Naty Revuelta, who was married to a doctor at that time.
Fernandez, who now lives in the US, studied medicine and international relations and worked briefly in public relations for Cuba’s National Theater. She later became a model and left the island nation in 1993.
Mankind Entertainment has named Michael Radford, an Oscar nominee for the 1994 movie “The Postman”, to direct the film. The screenplay would be by Robert Moresco, winner of an Academy Award in 2004 for “Crash”, and Nilo Cruz, winner of the 2003 Pulitzer Prize for Drama for his play “Anna in the Tropics”.
- Mexican actor to be the new Zorro - Feb 18, 2012
- Cuba, US to resume friendly baseball games - Mar 21, 2012
- Garcia Bernal takes spotlight at Colombia film fest - Feb 26, 2012
- Castro meets experts to discuss threats to human species - Feb 12, 2012
- Raul Castro's daughter launches blog - Dec 23, 2011
- Cuban gay couple plans to wed on Fidel Castro's birthday - Jul 18, 2011
- Hollywood stars Hayek, Banderas shatter stereotypes - Oct 28, 2011
- Socialism can't resolve all ills: Fidel Castro (Lead) - Feb 05, 2012
- Cuba celebrates 50th anniversary of Hemingway-Castro meet - May 15, 2010
- Fidel Castro fathered at least 10 children by a string of women, says book - Sep 27, 2009
- Trailer for Antonio Banderas film appears on web - May 09, 2011
- Raul Castro hints at easing of Cuba's migration policy - Aug 02, 2011
- Antonio Banderas' firm inks deal for his next two films - May 13, 2011
- Fidel Castro releases two-volume memoir - Feb 05, 2012
- Banderas says latest film ahead of its time - Sep 03, 2011
Tags: academy award, alina fernandez, anna in the tropics, antonio banderas, biopic, cuban leader fidel, cuban leader fidel castro, fidel castro, hollywood actor, international relations, island nation, michael radford, naty revuelta, nilo cruz, oscar nominee, postman, pulitzer prize, robert moresco, socialite, zorro