Casting of Dev Patel’s ‘The Last Airbender’ sparks race rowAugust 1st, 2010 - 12:20 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug 1 (ANI): British Indian actor Dev Patel’s new film ‘The Last Airbender’ has sparked a race row - after film bosses changed all the heroes into white people and cast Asians as villains.
The new flick is based on a hit kids’ cartoon series set in a fantasy world from Chinese and Inuit legends.
The cartoon has three Asian heroes - Aang, Katara and Sokka. However, in the film they are played by white Americans - including two unkown child actors and Twilight’s Jackson Rathbone, 25.
On the other hand, all the villains remain Asian, played by dark-skinned actors, reports News of the World.
The ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ star plays evil Prince Zuko in the movie, which opens here on August 13.
The cartoon’s co-creator has already slammed the “whitewashing” on his MySpace page after being deluged with messages from angry fans.
He wrote: “I have nothing to do with the casting whatsoever for the feature film.”
Over 100 protesters picketed the premiere in Hollywood last month, dubbing it The Last Racebender.
The movie has already recouped its 96-million-pound budget in the US, but it has been universally slammed by critics. (ANI)
- Movie Review: The Last Airbender(2010) - Jul 10, 2010
- 'The Last Airbender' - A spectacular special effects watch - Jul 10, 2010
- Dev Patel wants to play negative roles - Jul 09, 2010
- Winners List for the Razzie Awards 2011 - Feb 28, 2011
- Bruce Lee inspired Dev Patel to take up martial arts - Jul 01, 2010
- Hollywood racist for Asians, says Dev Patel - Aug 10, 2010
- Dev Patel isn't comfortable with big roles - Feb 26, 2012
- I took martial arts because of Bruce Lee: Dev Patel - Jul 02, 2010
- "Avatar: The Last Airbender" Cut Down To "The Last Airbender" Hits Theater Next Week - Jun 26, 2010
- Bigger villain leads to a bigger hero: Karan Malhotra - Dec 24, 2011
- 'The Last Airbender' dominates 2011 Razzie Awards - Feb 28, 2011
- Star-Spangled Red Carpet Premiere Of The Last Airbender At PVR Cinemas - Jul 09, 2010
- Toonpur Ka Superrhero Movie Review: An Unfunny Cartoon! - Dec 24, 2010
- Tom Cruise to star in movie adaptation of 'Rock Of Ages' - Feb 19, 2011
- 'Aadu Puli' - run-of-the-mill masala movie (Tamil Movie Review) - Feb 20, 2011
Tags: angry fans, asians, cartoon series, child actors, evil prince, fantasy world, feature film, flick, heroes, indian actor, inuit legends, jackson rathbone, katara, millionaire, new film, news of the world, prince zuko, protesters, unkown, villains