Cannes honour for Clint EastwoodFebruary 26th, 2009 - 4:14 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 26 (ANI): Clint Eastwood has received an honorary Palme d’Or from the organisers of Cannes film festival at a private ceremony in Paris.
A festival statement said that the privilege honoured was “the talent of a grand master at the summit of his craft.”
“When I made my first film 39 years ago, no one in the U.S. — except for Roger Ebert who was always very enthusiastic — believed in me as a filmmaker. But French cineastes have always been very supportive,” Variety quoted Eastwood, as telling guests at a Paris restaurant.
“France remains one of the rare countries that approaches cinema as an art form,” he added.
Festival toppers Gilles Jacob and Thierry Fremaux presented the 78-year-old with the honour.
Fremaux said of the honour, “In the U.S., they call this a lifetime achievement award, but in French the word achievement means ‘done’ and Clint Eastwood is far from being done. We’ll call it an ‘opening award.’”
Fremaux said the festival gave the Palme d’Or to Eastwood on Wednesday because he won’t be able to attend Cannes this year. (ANI)
- 'The Angels' Share' wins jury prize at Cannes - May 28, 2012
- Films by jailed Iranian directors to be screened at Cannes - May 11, 2011
- 'Amour' wins Palme d'Or top prize at Cannes - May 28, 2012
- 'Reality' wins grand prize at Cannes - May 28, 2012
- Woody Allen's 'Midnight in Paris' to premiere at Cannes - Feb 03, 2011
- Gosling locks lips with 'Drive' director at Cannes - May 23, 2011
- Robert De Niro to head jury at this year's Cannes Film Festival - Jan 07, 2011
- Uma Thurman, Jude Law join Cannes jury - Apr 20, 2011
- 'The Tree of Life' wins 2011 Golden Palm at Cannes - May 23, 2011
- Italy's Nanni Moretti named Cannes president - Jan 21, 2012
- Cannes movie marathon ends as prizes start to roll out - May 24, 2010
- France film director Claude Chabrol dies at 80 - Sep 13, 2010
- 'The White Ribbon' wins Cannes' Palme d'Or - May 25, 2009
- Quentin Tarantino to head this year's Venice film jury - May 07, 2010
- French movie The Class bags Palme d'Or at Cannes - May 26, 2008
Tags: art form, cannes film festival, cineastes, cinema, clint eastwood, eastwood washington, gilles jacob, honour, lifetime achievement award, organisers, palme, paris restaurant, private ceremony, privilege, rare countries, restaurant france, roger ebert, summit, thierry fremaux, toppers