”Call of Duty 4” lords over 2008 Golden Joystick awardsNovember 1st, 2008 - 6:33 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 1 (ANI): First person shooter video game ”Call of Duty 4” was the main highlight at the 2008 Golden Joystick awards, where it scooped ”Ultimate Game of the Year”, ”Online Game of the Year”, and ”PC Game of the Year” awards.
Infinity Ward developed the game, and David Tyler from Activision, which published it, has said that its success is a reflection of the professionalism of the game’’s developers.
The awards, now in their twenty-sixth year, are given in 16 categories, and are voted for by UK gamers.
Other winners included Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, Grand Theft Auto IV, and Super Smash Bros.
The two most prestigious British awards a video game can win are either a Bafta Video Game Award, or a Golden Joystick.
“We”re really honoured to receive this award. We”d like to thank everyone involved, especially the development team, Infinity Ward,” the BBC quoted David Tyler, marketing director at Activision, as saying.
“The Golden Joysticks” importance has grown year on year and it has helped raise the profile of the games industry as a whole,” he added.
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock picked up The Sun’’s ”Family Game of the Year” award, while Nintendo’’s Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass bagged Handheld Game of the Year award.
Emerging new talent was also rewarded. Developer Tobias Rowe won the Mobile Game Pitch for his game Finders Keepers, while the new Grandmaster Flash Award - given for the best new web-based flash game - went to Darius Bagdziunas for his Stickman Madness game.
The games, which received the awards, were:
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock.
Grand Theft Auto IV.
Super Smash Bros.
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Stickman Madness. (ANI)
- Sound sleep improves motor learning skills - Jun 09, 2010
- Fallout 3 named Ultimate Game Of The Year - Nov 02, 2009
- Guns N' Roses files $20m lawsuit against 'Guitar Hero' makers - Nov 25, 2010
- Mass Effect 2 wins 'game of year' gong at Golden Joystick awards - Oct 30, 2010
- Good night's sleep can make you 'Guitar Hero' champ - Jun 09, 2010
- Mario Bros 'Greatest Video Game Ever' - Aug 28, 2010
- "Golden Eye 007" Is Set To Get Better - Oct 30, 2010
- Courtney Love feels Kurt Cobain would've enjoyed Guitar Hero video game - Jan 30, 2010
- Largest video game controller unveiled in London - Jan 19, 2012
- Super Mario Bros. celebrates its 25th anniversary - Sep 14, 2010
- New gaming device simulates tug of fishing line, gun recoils - Mar 05, 2012
- Kurt Cobain comes back to life - in videogame avatar - Aug 28, 2009
- 'Call of Duty: Black Ops' sets new five day sales record with over $650 million - Nov 19, 2010
- Joss Stone cast as the Bond girl in a video game - Jul 19, 2010
- India rocks, say 'Poets of the Fall' - Aug 28, 2012
Tags: british awards, david tyler, first person shooter, flash award, game award, game call, game of the year, golden joystick awards, grand theft auto, guitar hero, guitar hero iii, guitar hero iii legends of rock, infinity ward, legend of zelda phantom hourglass, legends of rock, madness game, pc game of the year, stickman madness, team infinity, uk gamers