By George! Is O’ Malley Really Dead?May 15th, 2009 - 9:47 pm ICT by GD
The Thursday night 2-hour episode season finale, of ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy season 5, proved to be quite a shocker of sorts, for fans and critics alike with the dramatic seeming exit of Izzie stevens (Katherine Heigel) and George O’ Malley (T.R Knight).
Although grapevine reports of series cast member T.R Knight leaving the show had been in the buzz, and had given rise to speculations as to the scripted faith of the soft-spoken but dynamic Dr. O’Malley, the dramatic twist at the end of the episode turned out to be a stunner.
Inspired at the beginning of the episode to enlist as a trauma surgeon, George’s decision had few takers, with the gang planning to run an intervention. Moving along, a critically wounded John Doe is brought in, severely battered and bloody from being hit by a bus, a gory mush with his skull smashed in. Apparently, the crash occurred in course of the man’s chivalrous gesture of trying to pull a woman, Amanda, out of the speeding buses’ way. While the gesture earns him Amanda’s adoring reference to him as her “Prince”, the crash leaves the doctors at Seattle Grace Hospital scrambling to accomplish, what obviously appeared to be an uphill medical task. Getting prep-ed for the‚ surgery by Meredith, the bus crash guy begins to write on her palm with his finger the number “007″….Alex’s nickname for George.
As Meredith makes the horrific discovery that George is John Doe, the viewers are left with crossed fingers and bated breath. The show fades out with Izzies’ flashback of the infamous Prom-night episode, and her meeting a uniform-clad George in the elevator. While the audience is left hoping against hope that the obvious didn’t really happen after all, Meredith’s voice over dwells on the effervescence of everything precious, that’s here this moment,and then all of a sudden,”…it might all be gone tomorrow.” Just like George O’ Malley was.
- Will Katherine Heigl be seen in the next season of "Grey's Anatomy" - May 15, 2009
- Grey's Anatomy Season finale leaves fans in suspense - May 15, 2009
- "Grey's Anatomy" Provides A Sneak Peek In Its 606th Episode - Oct 23, 2009
- Mel Gibson's ex hires domestic violence lawyer - Sep 29, 2010
- Izzie Stevens passes away and so leaves Katherine Heigal - May 15, 2009
- Maryland governor in US celebrates Vaisakhi - Apr 28, 2012
- Maryland governor invites Indian investments - Nov 28, 2011
- 'Iron Man' type robotic exoskeleton to aid recovery in spinal injury patients - Apr 19, 2011
- US Maryland state's governor invites Indian investors - Dec 03, 2011
- Indian American named to top job in Maryland - Aug 04, 2011
- US' Maryland signs sister state agreement with Andhra Pradesh - Nov 29, 2011
- Critical tuning dial for controlling body energy identified - Jan 05, 2011
- Brit man 'strangles girlfriend to death during sex session that went wrong' - Apr 21, 2010
- Woman killed as sex session goes wrong - Apr 21, 2010
- Maryland netted $60 mn deals with India - Dec 13, 2011
Tags: bated breath, bus crash, cast member, dramatic twist, effervescence, episode season, fades, george o malley, grace hospital, izzie stevens, john doe, katherine heigel, mush, prom night, season finale, shocker, speculations, stunner, t r knight, trauma surgeon