‘Bullitt’ director Peter Yates dies aged 81January 11th, 2011 - 11:55 am ICT by ANI
London, Jan 11 (ANI): British filmmaker Peter Yates passed away in London on Sunday following an illness. He was 81.
He left behind his wife Virginia Pope, a son and a daughter, reports the BBC.
The family will hold a private funeral, according to his agent Judy Daish.
A graduate of the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, Yates started out as an actor before becoming an assistant director on such films as ‘The Guns of Navarone’ and ‘A Taste of Honey’.
He made his directorial debut in 1963 with Cliff Richard vehicle ‘Summer Holiday’, going on to make episodes of ‘The Saint and Danger Man’.
‘Bullitt’, his first US film, followed a year later, casting McQueen as the head of a police unit guarding a man about to testify against his mobster brother.
Yates was nominated for the best director Oscar in 1980 for ‘Breaking Away’, and again in 1984 for ‘The Dresser’. (ANI)
- 'Drive' - Has the drive, chutzpah and finesse (IANS Movie Review) - Oct 01, 2011
- Sean Penn to play mobster? - Mar 31, 2011
- Kanwar was obsessed with films: Shekhar Kapur - Feb 05, 2012
- Angelina Jolie movie criticised in Serbia - Jan 22, 2012
- Elderly woman trapped under her heavy dresser for 4 days - Jun 18, 2012
- Leonardo DiCaprio to play FBI founder - Feb 13, 2011
- 'Cars 2' drives on a weaker engine (IANS Movie Review) - Jun 26, 2011
- I had a complete emotional breakdown: Jolie - Jan 15, 2012
- Judi Dench receives lifetime achievement award - Nov 09, 2011
- McQueen's mother laid to rest - Feb 13, 2010
- Gujarati songs played at actor's funeral - May 13, 2012
- Ganesh Acharya turns Santa for 'Angel' - Dec 23, 2010
- Shabana Azmi's brother to direct Farhan Akhtar - Jan 18, 2011
- Syro Malabar Catholic Archbishop Vithayathil passes away - Apr 01, 2011
- McQueen leaves suicide notes for close ones - Feb 14, 2010
Tags: assistant director, bbc, best director oscar, british filmmaker, bullitt director peter, cliff richard, danger man, directorial debut, guns of navarone, left behind, london jan, mobster, peter yates, police unit, pope, private funeral, royal academy of dramatic art, summer holiday, taste of honey, wife virginia