Brother of Harry Potter actress jailed for beating her upJanuary 22nd, 2011 - 12:28 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 22 (ANI): The brother of Harry Potter actress Afshan Azad has been locked up for six months for beating her up.
Ashraf Azad has been jailed after setting upon his sister Afshan having discovered she was involved in a relationship with a non-Muslim man, reports the Daily Mail.
Manchester Crown Court heard he left his younger sister bruised and swollen after grabbing her by the hair, throwing her across a room and punching her in the head and back as she cowered on the floor of the family home.
Actress Afshan, 22, played Padma Patil, a classmate of the young wizard at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
Her married brother Azad, 28, pleaded guilty in December to assaulting her at the family home.
Azad was handed the six-month sentence at Manchester Crown Court despite a plea from his sister for leniency.
The actress wrote a letter to Judge Roger Thomas QC asking for her brother not to be locked up and saying that she had forgiven him.
The court heard that Azad has never supported the prosecution despite giving police an initial statement.
But Judge Thomas said it was a “prolonged and nasty attack”, adding that domestic violence in the home could not be tolerated.
He called Azad’s assault an “ill-tempered attempt to dissuade her from continuing the relationship”. (ANI)
- 'Harry Potter' actress asked judge not to jail brother - Jan 22, 2011
- Harry Potter actress' brother jailed over 'marry a Muslim or die' threat - Jan 22, 2011
- Harry Potter actress' brother pleads guilty to assault - Dec 21, 2010
- Family of Potter actress in Padma Patil role charged for trying to kill her - Jul 01, 2010
- Potter star Afshan wants father's, brother's death-threat charges dropped - Jul 13, 2010
- Potter star Afshan Azad to testify against father, brother in death threat case - Aug 24, 2010
- Potter star 'beaten, branded a prostitute by family after dating Hindu man' - Dec 21, 2010
- 'Beaten' Harry Potter actress 'doesn't want dad, bro to go to jail' - Jul 03, 2010
- Couple gets life term for killing 'witch' teenager - Mar 06, 2012
- 'Harry Potter' actress' family threatened to kill her - Jul 02, 2010
- Potter actress doesn't want jail for dad, brother - Jul 04, 2010
- Harry Potter star Afshan Azad attacked by her family members - Jul 03, 2010
- Harry Potter Star Afshan Azad Attacked by Own Father & Brother - Jul 03, 2010
- Harry Potter Star - Afshan Azad: Why Was She Threatened? - Dec 21, 2010
- Teen brothers convicted of sexually assaulting six-year-old sister - Jun 25, 2010
Tags: afshan azad, classmate, daily mail, domestic violence, harry potter actress, initial statement, judge thomas, leniency, london jan, manchester crown court, muslim man, nasty attack, padma patil, plea, prosecution, roger thomas, school of witchcraft, school of witchcraft and wizardry, violence in the home, witchcraft and wizardry