Britney accused of ‘ripping off’ the title of new single ‘Hold It Against Me’February 20th, 2011 - 5:38 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 20 (ANI): Britney Spears is facing legal action over her new single ‘Hold It Against Me’.
American country rock duo, ‘The Bellamy Brothers’, has claimed that it bears resemblance to their 1979 signature ballad ‘If I Said You Had a Beautiful Body (Would You Hold It Against Me?)’, reports the Daily Express.
Now, David and Howard Bellamy are meeting lawyers with a view to suing the 29-year-old pop star, and four songwriters for plagiarism.
Just like the Bellamy Brothers’ original, the lyrics to Spears’ song portray the singer seducing someone on the dance floor.
It is the first single to be released from her forthcoming seventh studio album ‘Femme Fatale’.
“Howard and I have no personal beef with Britney, she’s a talented gal, but professionally, and in all honesty, we feel completely ripped off, said David Bellamy, 60.
“Where’s the originality? If you listen to the lyrics of Britney’s single and compare it with ours you’ll find some major similarities,” he said.
“We will take the appropriate legal action if our attorneys agree we’ve been ripped off,” he added.
“She is not aware of this situation. If this is a legal matter we would have nothing to say until our lawyers have been alerted,” said a spokesman for Spears. (ANI)
- Britney Spears faces multi-million dollar lawsuit for her new single video - Feb 21, 2011
- Britney's 'Hold It Against Me' tops iTunes singles charts - Jan 13, 2011
- Bellamy Brothers Might Sue Britney Spears - Jan 15, 2011
- Britney's next single leaks, predicted to be a hit - Mar 05, 2011
- Britney Spears' Criminal music video unveiled - Oct 19, 2011
- Pritam mulls suing songwriter - Jun 03, 2011
- Minaj suffers on stage wardrobe malfunction - Jun 24, 2011
- Songwriter defends Britney Spears for not demanding co-writing credits - Apr 09, 2011
- Britney Spears "Hold it Against Me" Out on Tuesday - Jan 08, 2011
- Britney Spears Releases "Hold It Against Me" Teasers - Feb 06, 2011
- Britney Spears wanted to be a lawyer - Mar 10, 2011
- Britney's dad moves court for money? - Jun 16, 2011
- Britney Spears speaks about her new single 'Criminal' - Aug 30, 2011
- Britney Spears punches herself in the face for 'Hold It Against Me' teaser - Feb 14, 2011
- Will.i.am records new song with Britney for her upcoming album - Feb 19, 2011
Tags: ballad, beautiful body, bellamy brothers, britney spears, daily express, dance floor, david bellamy, femme fatale, honesty, howard bellamy, legal matter, london feb, originality, plagiarism, pop star, resemblance, rock duo, songwriters, spokesman, talented gal