British varsity to honour Gurdas Maan with doctorateAugust 31st, 2010 - 8:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 31 (IANS) Punjabi singer Gurdas Maan will be honoured with a doctorate in world music by the University of Wolverhampton in Britain next month.
The singer, known for popularising Punjabi folk music internationally, will receive the honour Sep 7.
“His contribution to music is immense and he is a real inspiration for our students,” John Pymm, Dean, School of Sport, Performing Arts and Leisure which is presenting the honorary award, said in a press statement.
Mann said: “I am touched and thankful for this recognition and I will continue entertaining my audience like always.”
He will be performing live at London’s Royal Albert Hall in April 2011.
The 53-year-old is equally excited about performing at the Royal Albert Hall in a special six-city British tour organised by UK Box Office. The organisers will be opening the ticket sales of Maan’s tour Sep 6 at the well-known hall itself.
“I am extremely honoured that I have been given this opportunity to perform at this beautiful historical landmark and appreciate that I am one of the few artists that have had the privilege to perform at such an extraordinary place,” said Mann, who has earlier performed at venues such as Wembley Arena in London and also the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham.
Maan’s British tour will take place in London, Birmingham, Glasgow, Wolverhampton, Leicester and Leeds.
- Gurdas Maan conferred doctorate by British varsity - Sep 09, 2010
- Gurdas Maan set for US tour, says he'll sing new songs (With Image) - Jul 20, 2012
- Underwood to perform in Britain - Apr 25, 2012
- For me, live performance is incomparable to anything: Sonu Niigaam - Nov 01, 2010
- Underwood wants to change Britain's country music scene - Jun 21, 2012
- Get ready for exciting events in Britain in 2011 - Jan 01, 2011
- Priyanka, Sidhu honoured as 'Punjabi Icons' - Apr 09, 2012
- Bollywood has hijacked Punjabi pop: Harbhajan Mann - Sep 29, 2010
- When Mika matched steps with Gurdas Maan (Movie Snippets) - Oct 03, 2010
- Dame Kiri Te Kanawa to get Lifetime Achievement at Classical Brits - Feb 09, 2010
- Jessie J smitten by Tempah - Apr 01, 2012
- Yusuf Islam (that's Cat Stevens) booed by angry fans - Nov 17, 2009
- Anusha Dandekar And Taz To Blend Their Music In India Tour - Jul 01, 2010
- Amy's dad to honour her with a concert - Aug 24, 2011
- Punjabi filmmakers want to tell realistic stories - Jan 16, 2012
Tags: arts and leisure, dean school, doctorate, extraordinary place, honorary award, honour, leeds, leicester, maan, national exhibition centre, New Delhi, organisers, place in london, privilege, punjabi folk music, royal albert hall, ticket sales, university of wolverhampton, varsity, world music