British stiff upper lip caused Catherine Zeta-Jones’ break down: Michael DouglasApril 27th, 2011 - 6:51 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 27 (ANI): Actor Michael Douglas has claimed that his wife Catherine Zeta-Jones broke down under the stress of his cancer battle because of her British stiff upper lip.
Douglas, 66, said his wife’s Welsh background meant that she bottled everything up, and was overcome with emotion when he was given the all clear.
Zeta-Jones, 41, was admitted to a U.S. rehabilitation clinic for five days earlier this month where she was diagnosed with bipolar II disorder brought on by the strain.
Speaking on the Oprah Winfrey show Douglas agreed that his health problems had “exacerbated” Zeta-Jones’ plight.
“When you’ve got cancer you’ve got to take care of business. They tell you, you have seven weeks of chemo, radiation, you kind of dive in and do it,” the Daily Mail quoted him as saying.
“I’m the kind of person when they’re sick, I just curl up, I don’t like a lot of fuss and no attention. I just like to get on with it. So I got on with it.
“I think that part of Catherine’s whole background, she’s Welsh and the Welsh it’s all stiff upper lip, not let your feelings show,” he said.
Douglas said that the last 18 months had been “harrowing” and he had suffered a string of personal disasters that put pressure on his wife.
“In my last year and a half my oldest son is in federal prison, my ex-wife is suing me, and I got cancer. It’s kind of hard for the wife to say, ‘I’m depressed’,” he said.
“You’re depressed, huh? How about some cancer, you want to get depressed?
“That played a big part of it, she’s got to be stoic and deal with all the stuff I’m going through. Probably the time I’m off the hook you finally relax,” he added. (ANI)
- Michael Douglas: 'Media outed Catherine Zeta-Jones Bipolar Disorder' - Apr 27, 2011
- Zeta-Jones doing great: Michael Douglas - Jun 13, 2011
- Catherine Zeta Jones' agony over Michael Douglas's throat cancer - Sep 05, 2010
- Proud of Zeta-Jones for seeking help: Demi Lovato - Apr 15, 2011
- Michael Douglas proud of Catherine - Apr 22, 2011
- Bono makes Zeta-Jones nervous - Mar 18, 2012
- In US, Zeta-Jones misses family - Jun 17, 2012
- Matt Damon has no qualms about his kissing scenes with Michael Douglas - Mar 29, 2011
- Michael Douglas' health raises concerns - Oct 05, 2010
- Zeta-Junes bowled over Douglas at first meeting - Sep 27, 2010
- It was scary becoming a mother, says Catherine Zeta Jones - Aug 03, 2010
- Zeta-Jones 'hopes to remove stigma from depression' - Apr 21, 2011
- Zeta-Jones 'had a good cry' when she heard Douglas' tumour had gone - Jan 12, 2011
- Cancer helped bring together Douglas' family - Sep 25, 2010
- Golf played cupid between Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones - Sep 27, 2010
Tags: actor michael douglas, bipolar, bipolar ii, break down, cancer battle, catherine zeta jones, daily mail, emotion, federal prison, health problems, michael douglas, oprah winfrey, oprah winfrey show, personal disasters, plight, rehabilitation clinic, seven weeks, stiff upper lip, welsh, wife catherine