British PM’s ex-spokesperson held for perjuryMay 30th, 2012 - 7:57 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 30 (IANS) British Prime Minister David Cameron’s former spokesman and ex-editor of the News of the World was detained Wednesday over allegations of perjury in court, Xinhua reported.
Andy Coulson, 44, was arrested in London over allegations of making false statements in 2010 at the high court in Glasgow over a story published by the News of the World when he was editor.
Coulson, then working for Cameron, denied any knowledge of phone hacking by the tabloid. Arrested last July by Metropolitan Police investigating the News of the World hacking scandal, he was later released on bail.
It has been disclosed that News of the World journalists intercepted and deleted the voicemail messages of the missing girl Milly Dowler in March 2002, interfering with police inquiries into her disappearance.
Resigned in 2007 from the News of the World due to the conviction of the newspaper’s involvement in the illegal phone-hacking, Coulson later joined Cameron’s personnel as communications director until resigning in January 2011 over the continued coverage of the phone-hacking affairs.
- Rebekah Brooks arrested? - Jul 17, 2011
- News of the World ex-editor arrested over phone hacking (Lead) - Jul 08, 2011
- Those involved in phone hacking must be prosecuted: Cameron - Jul 13, 2011
- Rebekah Brooks released on bail - Jul 18, 2011
- Rebekah Brooks arrested over phone-hacking allegations (Lead) - Jul 17, 2011
- News International CEO Rebekah Brooks quits (Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
- News of the World's former editor charged - May 15, 2012
- Seven journalists charged over British phone hacking (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- London police accused of bungling phone-hacking probe - Jul 20, 2011
- Rupert Murdoch's son faces MPs over phone hacking - Nov 10, 2011
- Thank you and goodbye, says News of the World - Jul 10, 2011
- News of the World ex-editor may be arrested over phone hacking - Jul 08, 2011
- Rebekah Brooks terms phone hacking 'abhorrent' (Lead) - Jul 20, 2011
- British journalists to be charged over phone hacking - Jul 24, 2012
- Rebekah Brooks to appear in court in September - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: allegations, andy coulson, british prime minister, communications director, conviction, david cameron, disappearance, dowler, false statements, metropolitan police, minister david, missing girl, news of the world, perjury, phone hacking, scandal, spokesperson, tabloid, voicemail messages, xinhua