British actor to play Luther King Jr in ‘Selma’March 17th, 2010 - 5:51 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 17 (IANS) Director Lee Daniels has roped in British actor David Oyelowo to play iconic American activist and leader Martin Luther King Jr. for his civil rights movie “Selma”.
The Oscar-nominated filmmaker is turning his attention to the US civil rights movement of the 1960s to tell the story of the historic marches led by Luther King Jr. in Selma, Atlanta, and rather than casting an American in the role, Daniels has opted for Oyelowo, reports dailyexpress.co.uk.
Oyelowo’s main film credits include “The Last King of Scotland” and “As You like It”.
Australian star Hugh Jackman has also been roped in to play state governor George Wallace in it.
Despite the top line up, Daniels also admitted earlier this month, he was worried as he hadn’t cast any of the film’s other actors.
“I feel like I’m caught up a little bit with that. I have to really start casting the movie because we’re shooting it soon. The only person I’ve nailed in for sure is Hugh Jackman. It’s all over the place,” he said.
- Jackman plans movie on Martin Luther King - Aug 02, 2012
- Grant still keen for 'Bridget Jones' sequel - Apr 27, 2012
- Saldana to play singer Nina Simone - Aug 17, 2012
- Jackman all praises for new 'Wolverine' film - Oct 08, 2011
- Helena Bonham Carter to star in 'Les Miserables' - Sep 12, 2011
- Martin Luther's statue to be unveiled alongside Lincoln, Jefferson replicas in Washington - Feb 18, 2011
- 'Rocky' inspires Hugh Jackman - Oct 17, 2011
- Crowe shuns movie at wife's request - Nov 09, 2010
- Craig, Jackman may star in 'The Dark Tower' - Dec 22, 2010
- Downey Jr. baffled by Rourke's acting technique - Apr 12, 2010
- Hathaway to star in 'Les Miserables'? - Aug 31, 2011
- Son Of Martin Luther King Jr., The Deceased Civil Rights Activist, Is Contemplating Acquisition Of A Portion Of 'New York Mets' - Jan 31, 2011
- Daniel Craig, Hugh Jackman And Who Else Makes It To Ron Howard’s The Dark Tower list - Dec 22, 2010
- Pitt is a great boss to work under: Julia Roberts - Sep 25, 2010
- WWE Raw: Hugh Jackman Makes Match- Zigler vs Ryder - Sep 20, 2011
Tags: actor david, british actor, civil rights movement, civil rights movement of the 1960s, david oyelowo, director lee, film credits, george wallace, governor george wallace, hugh jackman, last king of scotland, lee daniels, london march, march 17, marches, martin luther king, martin luther king jr, selma, state governor, us civil rights