Brett Michaels Considered Critical: Brain Aneurysm DangersApril 26th, 2010 - 8:13 pm ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Apr 26 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Just ten days ago I brought you the story of 47 year old Brett Michaels recovering from an emergency appendectomy He had undergone the procedure at a private hospital for diabetic patients. He was said to have been doing well, and was hoping to return to his tour soon. “I could have died,” he was quoted as saying.
Just as his condition was improving from the surgery, he suffered a severe headache which had doctors scrambling to find the cause. It was quickly diagnosed as bleeding at the base of his brain stem. He was rushed to intensive care on Thursday night, while doctors began a frantic investigation to find the exact location of the Aneurysm. Although TMZ reported on Friday night at 8 pm that Michaels was in stable condition, and was “awake, in good spirits and talking,” this has turned out not to be the case. Brett’s website states that a report from his doctors is expected, and adds, “Please remember Bret is, and always has been, a fighter and survivor and is under the best medical care possible,” according to the Associated Press.
Brett Michaels’ condition remains unchanged. Listed in critical condition, his latest update is that the source of his Subarachnoid Hemorrhage bleeding has not been located. Due to the fact that 50% of Aneurysm sufferers die immediately, and another 25% make a complete recovery, the chances of someone totally coming back from this type of condition are around 25%. University of Michigan Health System says you can repair the bleeding if you find the location of the broken aneurysm. “Sometimes a surgeon can repair a broken blood vessel depending on the location and size of the aneurysm. If unbroken aneurysms are discovered, the doctor may suggest surgery to repair these before they break. Multiple aneurysms are present in as many as 20% of cases.”
Brett’s tour manager stated that he is still under 24 hour surveillance, and that further tests are being conducted to try and find the location of the bleeding. Radar news reports that Michaels has “slurred speech, blurred vision and dizziness as a result of the bleeding at the base of his brain stem.” With his current condition, the recovery from an appendectomy, and the fact that he has Type 1 diabetes, Michaels condition is very serious, and he is in much need of prayer. Taya Parker, who won “Rock of Love” stated,”It’s been a very difficult time. Between his appendectomy and this current situation, everyone that cares for him has been vigilant with their prayers and hopes for a full recovery.” Brett’s staff also wishes to thank all of the fans for their prayers.
- Bret Michaels Still Critical: NEW MUSIC Posted On Website - Apr 27, 2010
- Doctors: Bret Michaels can have a full recovery, but there are some dangers ahead - Apr 27, 2010
- Can Bret Michaels tour this summer? - Apr 29, 2010
- Bret Michaels is in a critical condition after suffering a brain hemorrhage - Apr 26, 2010
- Doctors Hope For Bret Michaels' Full Recovery - Apr 27, 2010
- Bret Michaels discharged from the hospital - May 05, 2010
- Poison man Bret Michaels 'stabilizes' after brain hemorrhage - Apr 24, 2010
- Bret Michaels is 'critical but stable' in spite of suffering a setback - Apr 28, 2010
- Bret Michaels to undergo surgery for hole in heart - Sep 24, 2010
- Singer Bret Michaels Diagnosed With Brain Hemorrhage, In ICU - Apr 24, 2010
- New device uses submarine technology to detect stroke quickly - Mar 30, 2011
- Bret Michaels fights brain hemorrhage - Apr 27, 2010
- Bret Michaels Declares That His Hemorrhage Was Like A Gunshot - May 08, 2010
- Friends and co-stars send their well wishes to Bret Michaels - Apr 28, 2010
- Bret Michaels released from hospital, full recovery expected - May 05, 2010
Tags: aneurysms, associated press, best medical care, brain aneurysm, brain stem, brett michaels, broken blood vessel, complete recovery, critical brain, critical condition, diabetic patients, emergency appendectomy, exact location, intensive care, michigan health system, private hospital, stable condition, subarachnoid hemorrhage, thursday night, university of michigan health system