BR Films sued for ‘copying’ hit comedy ‘My Cousin Vinny’May 6th, 2009 - 1:49 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 6 (ANI): Bollywood production house BR Films has been sued by a Hollywood film studio for allegedly copying their comedy ‘My Cousin Vinny’.
The suit has been filed in the Bombay High Court by 20th Century Fox, which is seeking 940,000 pounds in damages.
The studio claims that the script and storyline of BR Films’ ‘Banda Yeh Bindaas Hai’ is strikingly similar to the original 1992 US film.
BR Films, on the other hand, has denied the allegations.
The company claims that their film was an original flick because the characters and settings for their release were different, reports the BBC.
Fox revealed that while permission to use their film’s idea for the basis of a new production had been granted to the Bollywood studio, its Hindi remake did not have their consent.
The case is not the first of its kind, as the Indian movie industry has had a long-standing history of remaking Hollywood films for the local entertainment.
Most recent example has been of a probable Bollywood remake of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, which has been warned with legal action by US moviemakers. (ANI)
- B.R. Films settles Fox studio's plagiarism charges - Aug 08, 2009
- BR Films denies Fox studio's plagiarism charges - May 05, 2009
- Warner Bros continues Bollywood journey with a 500 crore deal - Jul 20, 2009
- Copyright infringement matter against Banda Yeh Bindhaas Hai gets settled out of court - Aug 02, 2009
- Bollywood continues to takes cues from Hollywood - Jun 21, 2009
- Sanjay Dutt's film may face copyright violation trouble? - May 02, 2009
- Farah finds acting funny! - Jan 27, 2012
- Fox Star Studios To Produce Tamil Films - Sep 03, 2010
- Madisen Beaty in Paul Thomas Anderson's next - Jun 07, 2011
- No celebrations, it's exam time for Hansika (Tamil Movie Snippets) - Nov 03, 2011
- 'X-Men' packs a punch in opening week, earns Rs.14.5 crore - Jun 16, 2011
- Rahul Dholakia's Next With Ravi Chopra - Aug 07, 2010
- 'Lamhaa' director invited to visit Kashmir - Aug 08, 2010
- Gautham Fails To The Cross The Skies Of Bollywood - Dec 21, 2010
- Mahesh Bhupathi has fingers crossed for a daughter - Dec 13, 2011
Tags: 20th century fox, allegations, bbc, bollywood production, bombay high court, comedy, curious case of benjamin button, damages, different reports, film studio, flick, hollywood, hollywood film, hollywood films, indian movie industry, local entertainment, london, my cousin vinny