B.R. Chopra honoured with ‘Phalke Ratna’ awardApril 30th, 2008 - 9:14 pm ICT by admin
Mumbai, April 30 (IANS) Legendary filmmaker B.R. Chopra was Wednesday conferred the Phalke Ratna award here while superstar of the 1970s Rajesh Khanna was honoured with the Phalke Legend Actor Award. The honours were given away on the 139th birth anniversary of Dadasaheb Phalke, considered the father of Indian movies.
Others Bollywood veterans who were awarded by the Dadasaheb Phalke Academy for their contributions to their respective fields included actress Shyama, kathak exponent Sitara Devi, singer Mahendra Kapoor, director Ravi Tandon and art director R. Verman.
B.R. Chopra, who was awarded the Phalke Ratna, has produced and directed socially relevant and popular films like “Naya Daur” and “Insaf Ka Tarazu”. While “Naya Daur” exhibited the Nehruvian look to a newly independent country and the responsibility of its people towards nation building, “Insaaf ka Tarazu” dealt with some laxity in the legal system.
Chopra was also the man behind the popular television series “Mahabharat”, based on the Hindu epic.
Rajesh Khanna was the reigning star of the 1970s who gave hits like “Aradhana”, “Kati Patang, “Anand” and “Amar Prem”. He had a huge fan following thanks to his good looks and his ability to play myriad roles.
The Dadasaheb Phalke Academy was formed 10 years ago by 22 Bollywood craft associations to perpetuate the name of Dhundiraj Govind Phalke, popularly known as Dadasaheb Phalke.
An alumni of Mumbai’s J.J. School of Arts (1885), Phalke made the first silent Indian movie “Raja Harishchandra” in 1913.
In the first year of its formation in 1998, the Academy had rescued Phalke’s only surviving daughter, Brinda, from oblivion and got her a flat in Mumbai from the Maharashtra government.
The Academy was also instrumental in re-naming the Film City in Mumbai as Dadasaheb Phalke Chitranagari. It honours the film industry veterans and legends every year on Phalke’s birth anniversary.
- On Indian cinema's centenary, wax statue to honour Phalke (With Images) - Feb 17, 2012
- Dharmendra to get Phalke Ratna award - Apr 21, 2011
- Dev Anand, Pran receive Dadasaheb Phalke honour - Apr 30, 2010
- College to celebrate Dilip Kumar birthday - Dec 09, 2010
- Filmmaker B.R. Chopra dead - Nov 05, 2008
- Manoj Kumar to get lifetime achievement honour - Sep 24, 2010
- Legendary filmmaker B.R. Chopra dead (Lead) - Nov 05, 2008
- Entire Kapoor khandaan to be present for posthumous Dadasaheb Phalke honour for Prithviraj Kapoor - Apr 22, 2009
- Big B mourns death of Anthony Gonsalves - Jan 19, 2012
- Bollywod stars happy after getting Dadasaheb Phalke Academy Awards - May 03, 2011
- Dadasaheb Phalke's 140th Jayanti celebrated by bestowing honours - May 05, 2009
- Dev Anand conferred Rashtriya Kishore Kumar Samman - Oct 14, 2011
- Filmmaker B R Chopra passes away - Nov 05, 2008
- The real 'Anthony Gonsalves' no more - Jan 19, 2012
- B.R. Chopra was Nostradamus of Indian film industry: Biographer - Nov 28, 2010
Tags: actor award, art director, birth anniversary, craft associations, exponent, film city, film industry, govind, hindu epic, independent country, industry veterans, kati patang, laxity, legendary filmmaker, maharashtra government, nation building, rajesh khanna, sitara devi, tarazu, verman