Box office savours sweetness of Anurag Basu’s ‘Barfi!’September 14th, 2012 - 8:11 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 14 (IANS) It is not a conventional subject, it is without the typical box- office success formula and the protagonist has no dialogues — still Ranbir Kapoor as happy-go-lucky deaf and mute guy “Barfi!” has touched the heartstrings of the viewers and they are thronging the cinema halls giving it an overwhelming opening.
Rakesh Sippy of Raksha Entertainment Pvt Ltd told IANS that “Barfi!” has “opened pretty well in multiplexes and in other cities”.
“In fact, the film had around 90 to 100 percent occupancy for the morning shows. It is doing exceptionally well. The film will pick up by word of mouth,” he added.
Another touching tale narrated by talented director Anurag Basu, “Barfi!” has wowed the critics and the audiences alike. Distributors are equally happy with the response to the movie.
Besides Mumbai, the film has struck a chord with audiences in other cities too.
Sanjay Ghai of Mukta Arts said that in Delhi, “the film has opened to 100 percent occupancy. The weekend shows are full because of advance booking. The report of the film is also very good”.
In Rajasthan, according to Sunil Bansal of Yash Raj Jai Pictures Pvt Ltd, the film has opened to 60 to 65 percent occupancy, which is quite good. “The film will pick up during the weekend,” he said.
If Ranbir is deaf and mute, Priyanka Chopra’s character is autistic in the film. However, despite picking up sensitive issues, Basu has given it a light touch and presented it as a triangular romantic comedy.
Rajesh Thadani of Multimedia Combines said the opening is pretty good and that it will certainly do well in multiplexes “as the reports of ‘Barfi!’ are very good. Let’s wait till the weekend and see what the film does at the box office”.
Apart from superb performances, sound script and deft execution, the backdrop and music will do the trick.
- 'Barfi!' wins hearts, collects over Rs.34 crore in first weekend - Sep 17, 2012
- Ranbir assures 'no disability' in 'Barfi' - Jul 03, 2012
- 'Barfi!' mints Rs.58.6 crore in first week - Sep 21, 2012
- Anurag Basu plans English 'Barfi!' - Sep 19, 2012
- 'Barfi!' gets U-certificate, Anurag Basu excited - Sep 02, 2012
- Ranbir Kapoor sings a song for 'Barfi' - Sep 10, 2012
- B-school students to design 'Barfi!' marketing campaign - Feb 03, 2012
- Charming, pure, 'Barfi!' a modern masterpiece (IANS Movie Review - Rating: ****) - Sep 14, 2012
- Get me toughest roles: Priyanka - Sep 05, 2012
- More than awards, Ranbir wants lot of people to see 'Barfi!' - Sep 13, 2012
Tags: anurag basu, bansal, barfi, box office success, cinema halls, ghai, heartstrings, mukta arts, multiplexes, priyanka chopra, protagonist, pvt ltd, romantic comedy, sanjay, sensitive issues, sound script, success formula, talented director, thadani, yash raj