Boston Med: The next best thing to Grey’s AnatomyJuly 2nd, 2010 - 4:09 pm ICT by admin
By Anita Thomas
Three hospitals in Boston are highlighted in the weekly series that first aired June 24, 2010. Massachusetts General, The Brigham Women’s Hospital and Boston Children’s Hospital, we follow along with their triumphs and disappointments. This is real drama, the life and death of it.
The first patient is a 74 year old women who went into cardiac arrest at another facility, was incubated and sent to Mass General, during their efforts to resuscitate they find out from family she is a DNA (do not resuscitate). Frustrated that the other facility did resuscitate and did not follow her wishes, Mass General is now respecting her final wishes and announces her time of death.
An expected mother whose husband is serving in Iraq, has to come to terms with the fact her unborn child has a defective heart. The doctors are being optimistic that it can be repaired, but at the same time, they know the odds. Her husband Jake makes its home to see the birth of their son Sam. The structure on the left side of the heart did not developed well and they are not sure why. Jake has missed the entire pregnancy and now he is faced with dealing with the medical emergency that lies ahead for his wife and unborn child. Sam was born and taken to Boston Children’s Hospital where they will prepare him for his first set of surgeries. The parents worst fears come to surface when the cardiac surgeons find after injecting dye into his heart there is actually more damage, how much more damage is unknown. They now have to inspect the heart from the inside before deciding what repairs need to be done. The first round of surgery went well and things are looking up. Sam is doing well and still has another round of surgery, but he is on the road to recovering.
The 2010 graduating interns at Boston Medical have bright futures ahead of them and many hearts to heal.
- Boston Med hospital drama at it's best - Jul 23, 2010
- Stem cells show promise in repairing child's damaged heart - Jan 28, 2011
- Mum, paramedics rescue toddler from backyard pool - Mar 17, 2011
- Heart surgery can cause strokes, seizures - Nov 17, 2010
- Injectable gel to heal damaged hearts - Feb 22, 2012
- Battered baby Falak dies of cardiac arrest (Third Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Sexually abused girl child more prone to stroke - Nov 14, 2011
- Second full-face transplant performed in Boston - Apr 29, 2011
- Rare surgery saves 12-day-old infant in Punjab - Sep 21, 2011
- Baby Falak's mother performs her last rites - Mar 16, 2012
- Bad fat could decline memory - May 18, 2012
- Man in US is first to get full-face transplant - Mar 22, 2011
- Stem cells injected into the brain of stroke patient in world first - Nov 17, 2010
- Brittany Murphy's dead husband sired kids from two other women - Jun 14, 2010
- High job stress 'ups risk of heart disease by 40 pc for women' - Nov 15, 2010
Tags: anita thomas, boston children, boston medical, bright futures, cardiac arrest, defective heart, disappointments, dye, interns, life and death, mass general, massachusetts general, medical emergency, old women, s hospital, son sam, time of death, triumphs, unborn child, worst fears