Bono hails Bush’s US AIDS funding program for saving millions of livesDecember 2nd, 2010 - 4:13 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Dec 2 (ANI): U2’s lead singer Bono has given credit to former President George W. Bush and the massive US funding started in 2003, for helping to bringing about a drop in HIV infections.
Specialists in the field and AIDS activists alike, agree that the funding has done a world of good in sub-Saharan Africa, where efforts on raising awareness and relief is credited with saving 5 million lives.
In an interview with Bono and Bush at the latter’s Dallas, Texas, office, the singer spoke of how the former president took charge of the issue.
“Even people who are snide and snarky about the United States of America have to admit that millions and millions of lives have been saved by American taxpayers,” Fox News quoted Bono as saying.
“Being effective was the thing we had to prove — that there could be measurable results.
“That if American taxpayers were going to fork out for this historic AIDS initiative that somebody like me could come back years later, which I have, and say, America, you’re saving 5 million lives.
“It’s an extraordinary thing that you have done,” he added.
The president’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) was launched in 2003, with 15 billion dollars pledged over a five-year period. (ANI)
- WikiLeaks cable reveals Berlusconi's efforts to avoid Bono tongue-lashing - Dec 18, 2010
- `Berlusconi wanted to hike foreign aid to avoid Bono's anger' - Dec 18, 2010
- US AIDS Relief program cut death toll by 10 percent in African countries - Apr 07, 2009
- Work on inequalities to get rid of AIDS: UN - Dec 01, 2010
- Statement by former U.S. President Bush on Bin Laden's death - May 02, 2011
- Cricketers to sport red ribbons on World AIDS Day - Nov 29, 2010
- Bharat Biotech receives $4 million award for new vaccine - Jun 18, 2012
- Obama announces more resources for AIDS fight - Dec 02, 2011
- Indian vaccine to save 250 million lives in Africa - Mar 01, 2011
- Increase in domestic funding on AIDS: UN report - Jul 19, 2012
- IFC to take 15 percent stake in two SunEdison companies - May 10, 2012
- Bush Confirmed Water Boarding Of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed - Jun 04, 2010
- Leonardo DiCaprio donates $1 million to Clinton Bush Haiti Fund - Jan 22, 2010
- Bush congratulates Obama on Bin Laden killing - May 02, 2011
- Alicia Keys continues her efforts for AIDS awareness - Dec 02, 2011
Tags: 5 million, aids activists, aids initiative, aids relief, american taxpayers, billion dollars, dallas texas, emergency plan, extraordinary thing, former president, fox news, george w bush, hiv, hiv infections, lead singer, measurable results, pepfar, president george w bush, states of america, sub saharan africa