Boney M lead singer Farrell dies aged 61December 30th, 2010 - 8:27 pm ICT by IANS
St. Petersburg, Dec 30 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Bobby Farrell, the only male member of the disco group Boney M, died here aged 61, an official said Thursday.”A probe (into his death) is underway,” the source said without elaborating.
The website of City Concert entertainment agency said Farrell and Boney M were to perform two shows in St. Petersburg Dec 28 and 29, but their location was not disclosed.
Russian media reported that the band was to perform at a private party.
A Russian tabloid, Life News, said Farrell felt ill after a conflict during his show, and died of a heart attack.
A source close to the organizers said Farrell’s long-time co-performer, Liz Mitchell, was in tears over his death.
Mitchell’s husband, Thomas, who is with his wife and the rest of the group in St. Petersburg, could not be reached by telephone to confirm the cause of the dancer’s death.
The Dutch consulate in St. Petersburg said it was informed of its citizen’s death, but received no official notification from Russian authorities.
Boney M, popular in late 1970s, was the favourite ensemble of disco fan Leonid Brezhnev and still enjoys great popularity in Russia.
- Boney M singer Bobby Farrell found dead in hotel room - Dec 31, 2010
- World's deepest metro station to be in Russia - Dec 28, 2011
- Portugal is Russia's group nemesis - Sep 08, 2012
- Russia needs fair elections: Gorbachev - Sep 22, 2011
- Apple flash mob to be held in St.Petersburg - Oct 14, 2011
- Steve Jobs' monument to come up in St. Petersburg - Sep 04, 2012
- Relics of 13th century hero stolen in Russia - Aug 30, 2012
- Hulk enjoys first Zenit training session - Sep 14, 2012
- Singer quits Germany's Wagner fest over swastika tattoo - Jul 22, 2012
- CSKA coach leaps to Arshavin's defence - Jun 29, 2012
- Dozens of protesters detained in Russia - Jun 01, 2011
- Minute's silence at Russian Super Cup - Jul 14, 2012
- Russian gay rights activist fined under new law - May 05, 2012
- Russia should respect fans more, says captain Arshavin - Jun 22, 2012
- Russians may fly for free to Euro 2012: Putin - Jan 20, 2012
Tags: bobby farrell, boney m, concert entertainment, disco group, dutch consulate, entertainment agency, heart attack, husband thomas, leonid brezhnev, life news, liz mitchell, male member, official notification, private party, ria novosti, russian authorities, russian media, singer farrell, snb, st petersburg