Bollywood’s composer duos - working together and loving itMay 11th, 2009 - 9:03 am ICT by IANS
By Ruchika Kher
New Delhi, May 11 (IANS) The saying ‘two is company’ holds true for Bollywood’s music industry where music director duos have been churning out great songs for decades. And such two-member teams say that working with a partner is not only a lot of fun but also helps them create better music.
“Shekhar and I work in sync, we compose and arrange our music together and we learn a lot from working together. That apart, we’re great friends and we work with our friends too, so we have a lot of fun. It’s the best job in the whole world,” Vishal Dadlani of music composer duo Vishal-Shekhar told IANS.
Composers Vishal and Shekhar rose to fame after “Jhankaar Beats” (2003). They went on to give chartbusters for films like “Salaam Namaste”, “Om Shanti Om”, “Tashan” and “Dostana” among others.
The trend of composer duos is not new. Earlier decades too boasted of talented music directors like Shankar-Jaikishan, Kalyanji-Anandji, Laxmikant-Peareylal, Anand-Milind and Jatin-Lalit who wowed music buffs with their melodious songs.
More recently, others who have made their presence felt in Bollywood are Salim-Sulaiman, Sajid-Wajid and Nikhil-Vinay apart from Vishal-Shekhar.
Most composers who work in teams feel that working as a duo helps in sharing thoughts and generating ideas.
“It’s always great to work with a partner because we both share our thoughts, our burdens, our ideas. We do have arguments but that’s healthy and only so that we come out with a great track,” said Uday, who has Justin as his music partner.
Justin, on the other hand, feels that working with a partner eases stress while working under enormous pressure to meet deadlines.
“Working as a duo is a strength. In a creative field like this when one is working under enormous pressure to create music that will be liked by all, your partner not only helps you professionally but also becomes a moral support.
“In such a situation, if one slips, the other can take care of things…partners have the advantage of dividing their work between each other,” said Justin.
He added: “Working with a partner is a work marriage; so even if there are healthy creative arguments, it only helps in bettering the project.”
Justin-Uday have composed music for the 2008 film “Hijack” and have recently worked on Sudhir Mishra’s film “Sikandar”.
Sajid-Wajid, who have given catchy, hit songs in films like “Welcome” and “Partner”, say it’s great fun working together as they complement each other.
“When we were kids, we used to fight on small things like food and now when we are grown up, we fight while creating music. It’s fun. We completely complement each other,” Sajid told IANS.
“We are not just partners but we are brothers. We are two souls and one mind and that’s the best part of working together,” he added.
Sajid-Wajid’s forthcoming projects include “Kal Kisne Dhekha Hai”, “Paying Guest” and “Veer”.
However, creative arguments and personal conflicts have resulted in music director duos splitting despite giving several hit numbers.
Jatin-Lalit, who composed music for films like “Khamoshi”, “Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge”, “Kuch Kuch Hota Hai” and “Hum Tum” among others, split following a personal dispute.
The well-known duo of Nadeem-Shravan, who were behind chartbusters from films like”Aashiqui”, “Saajan”, “Raja Hindustani”, “Dhadkan” and “Raaz”, too split in 2005. But they have teamed up again and are composing for three movies that are under production.
(Ruchika Kher can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Top 10 Bollywood songs (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 23, 2010
- Vishal gives credits Shekhar for success - Nov 25, 2011
- Wajid becomes a father second time around - Apr 26, 2011
- We've borrowed 'Rowdy Rathore' music from original: Wajid - May 04, 2012
- Composers bring out the best in singers: Sajid-Wajid - Jun 15, 2010
- 'Chammak challo' made 2011 fantastic: Composer Vishal - Dec 16, 2011
- Bipasha hooked on to 'Tum Ho' song (Movie Snippets) - Nov 21, 2011
- Ajay Devgn breaks bottle on Rohit Shetty's head (Movie Snippets) - Oct 07, 2010
- 'RA.One' music rocks (IANS Music Review) - Sep 16, 2011
- "There is a lot of madness in 'Anjaana Anjaani' music" - Vishal and Shekhar - Aug 20, 2010
- 'Housefull 2' packed with dirty dozen, laughter (IANS Preview) - Apr 02, 2012
- Ghulam Ali to perform at 'Sa Re Ga..' finale - Dec 24, 2010
- 'Sheila ki jawani' spices up 'Tees Maar Khan' album (IANS Music Review) - Nov 18, 2010
- 'Dabangg' has entertaining soundtrack (IANS Music Review) - Aug 09, 2010
- Arjun Rampal busts knee (Movie Snippets) - Sep 13, 2012
Tags: anand milind, better music, chartbusters, creative field, jatin lalit, laxmikant, melodious songs, member teams, moral support, music buffs, music composer, music director, music directors, music partner, nikhil, sajid wajid, salim sulaiman, talented music, tashan, vishal and shekhar