Bollywood supports Tobacco Intervention Initiative of IDA on World No Tobacco DayJune 1st, 2009 - 4:31 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
Bollywood stars extended their whole hearted support for a noble cause of fighting tobacco and promoting its de-addiction through the “Tobacco Intervention Initiative” of Indian Dental Association on the occasion of World No Tobacco day at an event held on Sunday May 31st at St. Andrews Auditorium, Bandra, Mumbai.
Present at the occassion were actress Amrita Rao, Shreyas Talpade, Naghma, and Pantaloons Miss India 2009 Shriya Kishore along with IAS officer and Secretary of Medical Education Dr. Bhushan Gagrani who was the chief guest and K Raghuvanshi the chief of Anti-Terrorism Squad as the guest of honor.
Amrita Rao unveiled the TII logo and launched the TII initiative and narrated the story of one of her friends in USA whose husband has throat cancer and what trauma her friend is undergoing. She also said how the book on Anti-Smoking written by her dad Deepak Rao has helped thousands of readers to quit tobacco successfully.
Shreyas talpade, who launched the TII website. In his speech he joked that he brushed his teeth three times…gargled….tried to make his teeth whiter…before he came to the dentists event but still someone said that one of his teeth is yellow. Then he realized probably he needs dental treatment. He recounted his small stint with smoking in college…he asked one of his friends to teach him smoking who took him to canteen. Shreyas asked him “why do you smoke?” his friend replied – because two of my other friends smoke. Then shreyas was apprehensive of being seen by relatives so tried to go under the table and smoke. Then came out and smoked and then realized it does not give any pleasure. All it can give is a six letter word – cancer ” Smoking does not make you cool and All that you get is Cancer if you continue to smoke” was his message to the audience.
Shriya Kishore, Pantaloons Femina Miss India Earth 2009, released the TII booklet specially designed to be distribute among the public on this day. Her speech - her father was in military. When she was about to join boarding school for her 4th std, her dad assured her of any kind of help she ever needs…even if it involves a bad thing such as Smoking and Drugs. Shriya came and asked her dad about smoking and then he himself lit a cigarette and gave it to her. That was the moment she realized it is a bad thing and since then has been advising her friends about quitting this hazardous habit .
Nagma launched TII centers in Dental Institutes of the state. She said she lost her father 3 years back because of smoking. She highlighted the importance of such events in motivating the general public. K Raghuvanshi ATS chief launched the TII centers in Govt district Hospitalsof Maharashtra said it is really important to fight this menace through such constructive steps. Educating and motivating the general public in this regard is extremely important.
Hon. Bhushan Gagrani , IAS officer and secretary, medical education, Maharashtra who was the chief guest, released the special issue of Oral health magazine on Tobacco addiction. briefed the audience about the statistics involving tobacco induced deaths due to cancer and role of the govt in bringing out policies to prevent those deaths. People usually tell a beautiful girl ” main tumhare liye apni jaan bhee de doonga” and now we have three beautiful girls sitting here and when they are telling you to quit smoking, why can’t you?
The show was managed by Lt Gen Hon Paramjit Singh, president, IDA. Dr. Ashok Dhoble, the Secretary general, IDA and the Maharashtra and Mumbai IDA office bearers. -Sampurn Media
- Now a helpline to quit tobacco - May 29, 2012
- Kunal Khemu falls sick (Movie Snippets) - Mar 25, 2012
- It was my best birthday ever: Neil (Movie Snippets) - Jan 16, 2012
- What Made Preetika Rao Nervous During An Interview? - Dec 15, 2010
- Harsher pictorial warnings on tobacco packs from Dec 1 (Lead) - May 28, 2011
- High drop-out rate hits Delhi's tobacco cessation centres - Jun 04, 2012
- Inadequate, say health activists of new anti-tobacco warnings - Jun 01, 2011
- 'London Paris New York' about love between strangers (IANS Preview) - Feb 29, 2012
- Movie Review: Help (2010) - Aug 14, 2010
- Janice Dickinson relieved after finding her lost artificial teeth - May 20, 2011
- Doctors launch campaign for a tobacco-free Bangalore (May 31 is World No Tobacco Day) - May 30, 2011
- Tobacco battle helped Gwyneth Paltrow play alcoholic in new movie - Dec 21, 2010
- Shriya Charan Pins Hopes On 'Chikku Bhukku' - Jun 08, 2010
- Starry turnout at Shreyas Talpade's Birthday bash! - Jan 29, 2010
- Nana ignores back pain, lifts Shreyas (Movie Snippets) (With Images) - Aug 15, 2012
Tags: amrita rao, bandra, bhushan, canteen, chief guest, deepak rao, dental association, dental treatment, femina miss india, guest of honor, kishore, letter word, medical education, naghma, occassion, pantaloons femina miss india, Shreyas Talpade, shriya, throat cancer, tobacco intervention