Bollywood should reflect regional sensibility: ‘Aiyya’ director (With Image)September 6th, 2012 - 6:48 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 6 (IANS) Director Sachin Kundalkar is a Maharashtrian and he wanted to bring his native flavour through “Aiyya” to Bollywood, which he feels has an overdose of Punjabi culture.
The film, starring Rani Mukerji, is loosely based on one of the stories of Kundalkar’s acclaimed Marathi film “Gandha”, which means fragrance.
“Anurag (producer Anurag Kasyhap) had liked that film and wanted to make a film based on smell. That was the starting point, but the story has completely changed for Hindi,” Kundalkar, who decided to set his story in a Maharasthrian family, said in a statement.
“I like Bollywood films but I am saturated with the Punjabi culture. I feel every regional sensibility has to be represented and in that respect, Mani Ratnam is my idol. He brought in the south sensibilities and since I am a Maharashtrian, I’m bringing in mine,” he added.
“Aiyya” is about a woman, who finds a man desirable because he smells good. Rani plays a Marathi girl, who falls in love with a south Indian boy, played by Malayalam actor Prithviraj.
- Rani Mukerji's 'Aiyya' now set for Dussehra release - Jun 15, 2012
- Triple bonanza for Rani in 'Aiyyaa' - Jun 16, 2012
- Rani wanted only Vaibhavi for 'Aiyya' - Aug 15, 2012
- Now Rani does lavani item song in 'Aiyya' - Jul 16, 2012
- 'Halkat jawani' crosses 1 mn hits on YouTube (Movie Snippets) (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- 'Halkat jawani' crosses 1 mn hits on YouTube (Movie Snippets) - Aug 28, 2012
- Anurag converted short film into 'Aiyyaa' - Sep 07, 2012
- A quirky love story on Rani's platter - Oct 04, 2011
- Rani's 'Aiyyaa' character fan of Sridevi, Madhuri, Juhi - Sep 07, 2012
- I am biggest fan of Rani Mukerji: Prithviraj - Sep 14, 2012
- Malayalam actor Prithviraj gets 6-pack abs for 'Aiyya' - Sep 13, 2012
- No black magic for Emraan (Movie Snippets) - Sep 17, 2012
- Lack of innocence in Hindi films worries Juhi (Movie Snippets) - Jul 19, 2012
- Nawaz, Manoj turn revolutionaries for 'Chittagong' (Movie Snippets) - Sep 07, 2012
- Small screen got starry, regional and real (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 18, 2010