Bollywood pays homage to film-maker Jhamu Sugandh (Lead)May 26th, 2008 - 11:11 pm ICT by admin
Mumbai, May 26 (IANS) Well-known Bollywood personalities paid homage to producer and financer Jhamu Sugandh, who died here Monday following a cardiac arrest. Producers and distributors, including Pahlaj Nihalani, Rattan Jain, Shyam Shroff, Kuku Kohli and others, paid their last respects to the maker of super-hit movies like “Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam”. He was cremated at the Juhu Crematorium here Monday evening.
Fifty-seven-year old film-maker is survived by a daughter and a son.
Sugandh suffered breathing problems early Monday morning and was rushed to the Life Criticare Hospital in Juhu, where he passed away a little before noon.
Actively associated with the industry for more than 25 years, Sugandh produced movies like “Filhaal,” “Aks,” “Chachi 420″ and “Rangeela”.
His company, Jhamu Sugandh Productions, also produced off-beat movies like Buddhadeb Dasgupta’s “Kaalpurush” and Deepa Mehta’s “Earth”.
He also produced “Bombay,” a love story between a Muslim girl and a Hindu boy weaved into the bloody communal Mumbai riots of 1992-93, and “Black Friday”, which dealt with the serial bomb blasts in the city.
Sugandh was also associated with “Lagaan”, which became India’s official entry to the Oscars.
Other important productions he financed included “Hum Kississe Kum Nahin”, “Khubsoorat”, “Hindustani” and “Daud”.
He was also involved with the Kolkata film industry, and produced a few Bengali movies. He recently announced plans to produce at least half a dozen Bengali movies.
- Bollywood producer Jhamu Sugandh is dead - May 26, 2008
- Rahul Bose to make English movie on Pakistani novel - Feb 09, 2012
- Lyricist Javed Akhtar In Demand of Royalty, Favoring Copyright Ammendment Bill - Dec 27, 2010
- Our films should carry the Bollywood stamp: Sanjay Leela Bhansali (Interview) - Nov 03, 2011
- Nihalani turns director with Govinda starrer 'Avatar' - Mar 11, 2012
- Bachchan, Prakash Jha to launch 'Rascals' promo - Aug 09, 2011
- 'Multiplexes are eating away good cinema' - Jan 24, 2010
- Taurani files complaint against Deepika - Feb 11, 2012
- Zohra Sehgal: Indian entertainment's 'laadli' turns 100 (With Image) - Apr 26, 2012
- Rahul Bose loves working in Bengali films - Sep 22, 2010
- 'Chandni Bar' writer turns director, sends film to Cannes (With Images) - Mar 28, 2012
- 'Jiyo utho...' targets young generation: CWG lyricist Mehboob - Sep 01, 2010
- Sudden demise of filmmaker Jhamu Sugandh shocks Bollywood - May 27, 2008
- Bhansali's lavish TV production plans - Nov 14, 2011
- Bhansali, Shabinaa team up to co-produce Akshay-starrer 'Rowdy Rathore' - Apr 29, 2011
Tags: black friday, bomb blasts, breathing problems, buddhadeb dasgupta, cardiac arrest, crematorium, de chuke, deepa mehta, early monday morning, film maker, hindu boy, hindustaks, kohli, lagaan, last respects, mumbai riots, muslim girl, old film, shroff