Bollywood celebs express angst over CWG messSeptember 22nd, 2010 - 7:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 22 (IANS) “Disgraceful”, “shame”, “horror”, “embarrassment” - these are some of the expressions that celebrities from the Hindi film industry have used to describe the mess in the arrangements for the Commonwealth Games (CWG).
Most actors have taken to micro-blogging site Twitter to express their views on the issue, following the collapse of a portion of a false ceiling Wednesday at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium complex, the main CWG venue. The incident happened just a day after a foot overbridge at the stadium came crashing down, and complaints of the unhygienic conditions in the Games village hit the headlines.
Celebrities like Shilpa Shetty, R. Madhavan, Ranvir Shorey and Diya Mirza, among others, have expressed their concern over the image of the country due to the CWG mess.
Here’s what they have to say:
Shilpa Shetty: (My) News that things are falling apart a week before the games begin and how! Athletes are pulling out due to health and safety concernsâ¦just makes me cringe. This could have been a great opportunity to make our country proud. Unfortunately CWG hasn’t brought us the pride and honour we thought it would.
Diya Mirza: All hopes despite every negative sign have been thwarted for good. National shame but more so, national horror the CWG has turned into. I just hope that this shakes us all out of our slumber. I think what we lack the most is respect. If we respected our country, would we be as corrupt? The values that we strongly uphold, integrity, honesty, respect all forgotten? I feel so angry, disappointed and let down.
R. Madhavan: The CWG is already an embarrassment. I don’t think we are firstly, morally prepared for something like this. Honestly there is a limit to things we can brush under the carpet and I believe everything the media has to say about this issue.
Vishal Dadlani: So, what’s more disgraceful for India? Cancelling the damned CWG, or actually letting them happen? Thanks politicians, bureaucrats and contractors, for this CWG mess. I’m sure you made lots of money from the sale of our national pride.
Kunal Kapoor: CWG - What was supposed to be the nation’s pride has turned out be it’s shame! Actually, it is silly to expect pride when we are ruled by corrupt and shameless politicians. National pride is the last thing on their minds!
Ranvir Shorey: After the bridge, a ceiling has collapsed. Dogs, poop, falling buildings… I’m already enjoying the CWG. Waiting for something to collapse on one of the government officials who’re telling us everything is alright at the CWG. Government expects support for the corruption that is bringing us international shame.
Rhea Kapoor: Apalling! The CWG seems to be going to the dogs! Who is in charge? Time to start praying for a miracle.
Roshan Abbas: What does one say, embarrassed by CWG. India will be the laughing stock and many will still line their pockets and not care a damn.
Gaurav Kapur: Shiela Ji namaste, mere paise lauta dijiye (Dear Shiela Dixit, Please return my money). Regards, taxpayer of India.
- Bollywood celebs to ring in Diwali with family, friends - Nov 02, 2010
- Bollywood cheers India's 'classy' victory - Mar 31, 2011
- Bollywood extends support to Anna Hazare - Apr 06, 2011
- Every effort will be made to ensure successful CWG: Congress (Lead) - Sep 22, 2010
- Punish those involved in CWG corruption: CPI - Sep 26, 2010
- Konkona, Ranvir name their son Haroon - Apr 08, 2011
- Ranvir and I have married: Konkona - Sep 05, 2010
- Bollywood twitterati condemns crackdown on Ramdev - Jun 05, 2011
- Konkona back on sets, says Ranvir - Apr 26, 2012
- It's a boy for Shilpa Shetty - May 21, 2012
- CWG organisers have no sense of national pride (Comment) - Sep 25, 2010
- Zohra 100 years young, says Salman Rushdie - Apr 27, 2012
- Bollywood gives thumbs up to CWG opener - Oct 04, 2010
- 'I M 24' - an internet rom-com worth a watch (IANS Movie Review) - Sep 01, 2012
- CWG: BJP asks PM to reassure global community - Sep 22, 2010
Tags: bollywood, celebrities, celebs, collapse, commonwealth games, cwg, diya mirza, embarrassment, expressions, health and safety, hindi film industry, honesty, honour, jawaharlal nehru, jawaharlal nehru stadium, national shame, New Delhi, r madhavan, ranvir shorey, shilpa shetty